Rainbow Research Henna 100% Botanical Hair Color and Conditioner Persian Red  » Health  »
  • One of the more recent colorings left me a bit disappointed
  • I decided to wait until it had faded a little, and then try a henna rinse that someone I know recommended
  • I was really impressed with the flexibility of the usage as explained in the insert

• by reviewabit

I have darkish brown hair (at the moment) and have been coloring my hair for years. One of the more recent colorings left me a bit disappointed. I used a rich brown color, but wanted it to be a bit warmer, with more red than it actually turned out. Since it was a permanent color kit, I could not just use something else over it without risking damage to my hair or some horrific chemical reaction making it turn a weird color.

I decided to wait until it had faded a little, and then try a henna rinse that someone I know recommended.

The Rainbow Research company makes a henna product in several different colors. Henna is all natural, chemical free, and has no nasty toxins or side effects.

It is semi-permanent, and lasts about four to six weeks. I chose the Persian red for my color, because I already had brown hair, and just wanted to add some red to it without lightening it. The henna mix was powdered, and had to be mixed with hot water, coffee or tea.

There were several “recipes” for mixing the product with these substances to get different colors, and it even encouraged mixing the henna with other henna colors for customized results. I was a little shy about trying any of this, so I just mixed mine with water. Henna is a messy product, and it is time consuming to use.

The waiting period after you apply it is up to an hour for some colors, as was mine. The product is heavy on your head, and can be annoying. After my hour was up, I rinsed it out (and rinsed, and rinsed, and rinsed– this is how it is with henna!) The mud-like color was finally rinsed thoroughly, and I dried my hair to see the result.

As far as the condition of my hair,

• Rainbow Research Henna 100% Botanical Hair Color and Conditioner Persian Red
      it felt better than when I began, which is normally the case. Henna is actually really good for your hair and even produces a nice shine. After I dried my hair, I saw that the product had done a good job.

I was worried my hair would be some sort of deep orange or burgundy, but it was just about the color I had wanted to begin with– a rich reddish brown with body and shine as extras. Although it can be a time consuming process and a bit of a pain, I do think henna is a good option for those wanting to color

their hair naturally. For me personally, it will not cover my gray roots, so I only use it when there is no gray showing, and not right after I have colored my hair.

It is of limited value for me as far as coverage, but it does do a nice job of “tweaking” the hair color I have chosen as my permanent one– and it does so without exposing me to any more chemicals. I would definitely recommend this product. I was really impressed with the flexibility of the usage as explained in the insert.

(By the way, don’t use permanent dye OVER henna dye. It won’t work– and could be a nightmare!)

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3429071516790731/k2311a0729/7.29.11