Eton MicroLink FR160 Emergency Radio  » Electronics  »
  • I decided to get the Eton emergency radio partly because of the hand crank power and partly to stay prepared
  • I can get both the AM and FM band so that is why I like using this radio

• by MisterTickle

I decided to get the Eton emergency radio partly because of the hand crank power and partly to stay prepared. This Eton MicroLink comes with a radio component, which is powered by a hand crank or solar. This radio will ensure I get news update on the latest news. It also has a built in flashlight in case of a power outage. The last thing in this radio is the USB charger. It is possible to hand crank charge small devices such as cell phones. These are the three features I’m going to look at in greater detail.

The radio feature is very useful. I use it on a regular basis. I bring it

with me when I sit on the porch or when I am outdoors. I can get both the AM and FM band so that is why I like using this radio. My MP3 players only have the FM band so I can not listen to AM, which I do listen often. I hate the tuning on this radio. It does not have a digital interface. This means that I have to manually scroll through the stations. I get a lot of static if the antenna is not pulled out. I find that I also get static even when the antenna is pulled out. I really prefer the digital interface.

Flashlight is a useful ...

• feature. However, I find that it is not comfortable to use. Charging up the flahslight is no problem. I can do that in a few minutes. However, carrying it is my main concern. The overall size is pretty big. I would say that the Eton MicroLink can not substitute for a flashlight. I like to think of this flashlight feature as a regular desk light. It is to illuminate an area and not to use on the move. It is uncomfortable to carry when carrying it for a long time. However, I don’t mind carrying it for a short period of time.

The last feature offered on this radio is the USB charging. It

has a USB port, which I can use to charge electronic devices such as a cell phone. I decided to try this out. I drained the battery in my iPod Nano and connected it to this radio. This is a very useless feature. I cranked for ten minutes or so and I didn’t see a difference on the battery bar. I find that it takes a lot of cranking and a lot of patience to charge a device such as an iPod. The USB charging feature is absolutely useless. It is simply not worth using. However, the other features are great. The radio tuning can improve a bit, but I do receive quite a few stations.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1625071515171131/k2311a0725/7.25.11