Turtle Beach Earforce x41 Wireless Headset
  • I recently did a review on the Turtle Beach Earforce x11 Wired Stereo Headset, where I explained how the headset is great for those looking for a low cost wired gaming headset
  • For that purpose, the x11 is a great headset, and I would highly recommend it
  • If you haven't read that yet, I suggest you read it now
  • That being said, it is no more of a problem than it was with the x11
  • The wiring is actually, I found, more simple than the x11

• by Keanu

I recently did a review on the Turtle Beach Earforce x11 Wired Stereo Headset, where I explained how the headset is great for those looking for a low cost wired gaming headset. For that purpose, the x11 is a great headset, and I would highly recommend it. But recently, I acquired a new headset from my friend, the x41. This is Turtle Beach’s supposed “top of the line” gaming headset. I have to say, I really enjoy the upscale from the x11 to the x41. There is a definite improvement made here. That being said, it does cost a good hefty $150-200. But it would have been worth every penny to buy it, because it is a VERY high quality headset.

First of all, I’d like to do this review in a similar fashion to my x11 review. If you haven’t read that yet, I suggest you read it now. I’d like to cover build quality, sound quality, and the ease of use/setting up process. In terms of build quality, they are very similar to the x11.

They feature that same lightweight plastic I went over with the x11. It would have been nice to see a heavier duty material being used on the x41, considering its huge price increase. That being said, it is no more of a problem than it was with the x11. I haven’t had any cracks or breaking in the plastic yet, so I guess it’s alright. It has basically all the same materials as the x11, including the imitation leather headband, which is extremely comfortable. The actual shape of the ear cups is basically completely circular shaped, where the x11 is very oval shaped. I’d say that these are a bit more comfortable than the x11 in my opinion. The ear cups are also the same material, a spongy mesh-like material, which is a great way to ventilate your ears during long gaming sessions. I pretty much forget I have it on, which is a pretty good sign.

Next up is sound quality. Let me say that for a wireless headset, these sound phenomenal. There is a bit ...

• of static “hiss” sound, as with the x11, but it definitely isn’t a problem at all. You can’t even hear it when there is any sound playing. In terms of sound quality, there is a huge difference between the x11 and the x41. This headset has a much more 3D sound, meaning you can hear footsteps in a much more directional sense, instead of just left or right relatively. Things like explosions also sound incredible due to the bass boost function, which fixes the problem of low bass in the x11 that I mentioned. It is now a button that can be turned on or off, which is a nice feature. I prefer to keep it on.

The wiring is actually, I found, more simple than the x11. The tower, which sends the signal to the headset, is connected to a USB port for power, and is connected to the TV or gaming console via optical audio cable. This makes things very simple for me, because there are so many wires going to my TV. The optical

audio cable is just one single small cable, so it does not look ugly or anything. Like the x11, the chat cable works well, and it is easy to use, but there is still the problem of having to fiddle with the cable. I will sometimes have the problem of being able to hear my friends talking, but they cannot hear me. I then have to fiddle with/reconnect the chat cable, and the problem is solved. This is just a small inconvenience, but it seems that Turtle Beach needs to focus on that problem a bit more.

Overall, this is a great headset for those who can afford it. It is quite expensive, but the sound quality you get is phenomenal, especially considering that it is wireless. One main problem is that the headset does not have any charging options, meaning I have to just use rechargeable AAA batteries, which I highly recommend, because you burn through batteries VERY quickly with the x41. Otherwise, I find this headset to be of great quality, and a very comfortable one aswell.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1622071513410431/k2311a0722/7.22.11