Equate Children’s Cold & Cough DM Elixir  » Medicine  »
  • So, I would have no problems recommending this medicine

• by WendyBird

When I first used Equate Children’s Cold & Cough DM Elixir, both my daughter and I were suffering with a bad cold on a weekend when we couldn’t get to our doctor, so we self-medicated with cold medicine to try and mask the symptoms and go on with our day. I had no energy so did not want to drive to the city and just called a nearby relative to see if they had anything on hand. Voila! It wasn’t that bad either, comparable to name brands, which surprised me greatly.

It comes in a liquid form, and in several flavors but the one we used was Red Grape flavor. It was a sickly sweet but still had a medicinal flavor to it, and brought to mind an image of a lollipop dipped in bug poison. It’s an antihistamine, cough suppressant, and nasal decongestant that relieves common cold and allergy symptoms such as cough, sneezing, nasal congestion, runny nose, and things of that nature. We had all of the symptoms, the worst of which was a congestion coupled with a drippy nose. Talk about “not fair”, it’s no fun to have a nose so stuffy you cannot blow it, but have one nostril that continues to drip. We had sore throats, coughs, sneezing, you name it. I gave her two teaspoons of this medicine every 4 to 6 hours, while I took 4 teaspoons of it which was according to the directional dose-per-age chart. Of course, this is meant for children, but it worked well enough on me as well.

It doesn’t really do much as far as “getting rid of” the cold or ...

• Equate Children's Cold & Cough DM Elixir
      what-have-you, but none of these medicines do. What it did do for me was un-stuff my nose so that I could finally blow it and relieve some of the pressure there and the feeling of being super uncomfortable. It also helped with the sneezing and calmed the coughing down. Of course, by the time it was time for another dose, all of these symptoms had returned, and oddly enough, for my daughter, she’d only get about two hours of relief before hers acted up again. I could make it to 4
      hours easily. The only side effect we got from this was feeling super sleepy, which we succumbed to, my thinking it was probably good for our systems to get plenty of rest and sleep at that time.

It was an alright medicine and masked the symptoms just as good as Benedryl or Tylenol does. It is also a lot cheaper to buy and contains the same ingredients. I’ve bought it a time or two myself when funds were low, and I will buy it again. So, I would have no problems recommending this medicine.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2620071513030731/k2311a0720/7.20.11