2011 Subaru Impreza (hatchback)  » Cars  »
  • Every day I feel like I made a wise choice and got an incredible value for what I paid
  • I bought the car brand new for around $21,000, and something tells me I will be driving it for the next fifteen years
  • I will definitely be considering leather seats in my next vehicle
  • Although there’s less trunk space in a hatchback than in a traditional sedan, I love the option of folding down the back seats, providing space for larger items
  • I have only been driving a Subaru for eight months, but unless something really impresses me in the future, I believe I’ll be sticking with them

• by JesseV

In November of 2010 I purchased a brand new, grey Subaru Impreza hatchback. It is a terrific and extremely practical choice for someone who travels with cargo, takes long trips, or truly enjoys driving. I am so happy with this car. Every day I feel like I made a wise choice and got an incredible value for what I paid. I bought the car brand new for around $21,000, and something tells me I will be driving it for the next fifteen years.

External: The paint is eye-catching. My vehicle is dark gray; I would even call it gun-metal. It sparkles in the sun and looks like a million bucks with a fresh wash and wax. The car has a dual-action sunroof that opens both vertically and horizontally. The roof can tilt upward to create a small opening, which is particularly useful on the highway for some fresh air, and when leaving the car to sit in the sun for an extended period of time. Being a dark vehicle with seats the same color, it gets very, very hot in high temperatures. Even if there’s a chance of rain, it will not get in with the roof cracked this way. This feature also doubles as a moon roof, opening fully to the sky.

The front and back windshields are both equipped with wipers and fluid. The front windshield even has heaters for its the wipers. I cannot stress enough how beneficial these heaters are. In the winter, there is no ice piled up on the blades, scraping across the window. They also help to make a quick job of defrosting. I am a huge fan of the wiper on the back windshield. When the back window is clear, I feel much more comfortable driving on the highways, in traffic, or close quarters. The tail lights are very modern, being made up of numerous small, circular lights instead of just one solid shape. Together with the hatch back, these tail lights make the car easy to find in the lot and super sporty looking with a bike or kayak strapped to it.

Internal: The car has black, microfiber seats which can actually be uncomfortably warm in higher temperatures. Even when the interior of the car is finally cooled down, the seats remain warm where you sit; I will definitely be considering leather seats in my next vehicle. The steering wheel is equipped with button controls that allow the driver to update preferences while keeping focused on driving. The wheel includes buttons the radio, cruise control, and hands free cell phone use. Your ...

• cell can be synced to this car so that when it rings, you can simply press a button on the steering wheel and hear through the speakers, and talk as though it was to someone beside you.

On the dash there are two different trip mileage counters, and a miles-per-gallon display that resets each time you start a new trip. I’m also a huge fan of the mpg counter; it encourages me to save cash, gas and wear’n’tear by trying to keep the mpg’s high.

The Impreza is very comfortable, spacious, and accommodating. It’s bigger inside than the Subaru Legacy, through smaller than the Outback or Forester, but leaves plenty of headroom for taller riders. An extra cup holder is built into each of the front doors so you never have to balance a beverage anywhere!

The car has seat warmers with a two settings, high and low, that I was thankful for every day, all winter. The high second takes less than five minutes to get your whole body warm if you’re one to begin your drive before the engine has fully warmed. Now that I have them, I will never get another car without seat warmers. Although there’s less trunk space in a hatchback than in a traditional sedan, I love the option of folding down the back seats,

providing space for larger items. This feature was very useful when I moved, and great for traveling with pets.

The fuel economy on the Impreza is impressive; it gets 23-25 mpg in town and 26-29 mpg on the highway. These numbers are averages, based on my counter for each full tank of gas. I’ve actually seen it up as high as 35 mpg and down to 10 mpg in rough conditions. Right now I put approximately $50 in the tank each week, which is nearly a full one. I fill up at about 350 miles, which is right before my fuel light comes on.

The all-wheel drive feature makes the car heavy and safe-feeling; I like to say it’s like driving a salamander: low to the ground with sticky feet, allowing drivers to feel more confident in the rain or snow. This car rides low. So low, in fact, that it causes a little trouble for older, less limber passengers. The handling is tight and the pick-up is fierce; there’s none of that gunning it at the bottom of hills to make sure you reach the top. It’s easy to catch you self speeding.

I have only been driving a Subaru for eight months, but unless something really impresses me in the future, I believe I’ll be sticking with them.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 920071512460631/k2311a0720/7.20.11