Vox Satchurator Distortion Pedal
  • I paid £45 ($72) for it on Ebay and received it within a week
  • I plugged it into my Fender HotRod Deluxe and realised straight away that this was, in my opinion, the exact same tone that Joe Satriani uses for the vast majority of his ripping solos
  • I think this pedal would rock with a big Marshall amp, but then again the clean sound on the Fender amps really suits distortion pedals
  • The gain and tone buttons are so responsive, you can get such a great range of sounds which is impressive when you consider they all sound like Satriani
  • This pedal also sounds fantastic used with other pedals as long as you use good leads when connecting them to avoid that nasty fuzz

• by Andy Richards

I brought this pedal because I’m a big fan of Joe Satriani and I really wanted to imitate his sound. I paid £45 ($72) for it on Ebay and received it within a week.

I wasn’t sure about it at first because many of these signature pedals sound a little tacky and I was worried I’d spent my cash on another toneless distortion pedal.

All of the sound clips I’d heard of it had been promising which eventually led me towards buying it, although I always say that you never really know if you

like a pedal until you hear it through your set up!The way it looked when I eagerly ripped it from its packaging reassured me that I’d made a good choice.

A smart, solid looking red rectangle with some small silver push buttons labelled ‘on’ and ‘more’, alongside some larger creamy turn buttons for the ‘gain’, ‘tone’ and ‘volume’.

I plugged it into my Fender HotRod Deluxe and realised straight away that this was, in my opinion, the exact same tone that Joe Satriani uses for the vast majority of his ripping solos.

I think ...

• this pedal would rock with a big Marshall amp, but then again the clean sound on the Fender amps really suits distortion pedals.

I now love this thing and I jam over many different backing tracks with it all day long! The gain and tone buttons are so responsive, you can get such a great range of sounds which is impressive when you consider they all sound like Satriani.

However, some settings sound more authentic than others.

My favourite settings so far are as follows; Gain = Half Tone= Full Volume = Full Setting

up the satchurator this way provides what is in my opinion the greatest Satriani sound ever! This pedal also sounds fantastic used with other pedals as long as you use good leads when connecting them to avoid that nasty fuzz.

I used a Dunlop CryBaby wah pedal with it, and it sounded so wailing I almost fell over whilst getting carried away with it! Overall I think this is one of those products that truly does what it says on the tin, and I would recommend it to anyone who is seeking that ripping Satriani tone.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1618071511550731/k2311a0718/7.18.11