Desert Essence Organics Hair Care Red Raspberry Shampoo 8 oz  » Health  »
  • Since learning that the detergents in mainstream shampoos can cause some people to experience hair loss and thinning, I have tried to switch to using mostly sulfate free products for my hair
  • I prefer a scent that is pleasant, and a product that is at least somewhat affordable
  • Although I love the way it smells and feels, I will probably not buy this again once it is used up, because I need the volume boost that other shampoos can give me
  • I reserve this one for when I know I will be doing a flat-iron style, as it actually helps with that
  • I would recommend this to anyone who does not have thin hair, but wants a natural shampoo that actually lathers and smells fantastic

• by reviewabit

I have thinning hair. Since learning that the detergents in mainstream shampoos can cause some people to experience hair loss and thinning, I have tried to switch to using mostly sulfate free products for my hair. The sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate are the two detergents used in almost all shampoos (and body washes) you see in regular stores, so I turned to natural products stores and sites to find alternatives that might be good for my hair. There are several things I look for in a shampoo.

One is the lack of SLS, and I also need it to give my hair body because it is thin and fine on top. I prefer a scent that is pleasant, and a product that is at least somewhat affordable. The Desert Essence brand has

been a favorite of mine for a long time.

It is rare that I find one of their products I don’t like. This Desert Essence shampoo claims that it is clarifying and can impart a lot of shine to the hair. I could always use a little more shine, especially in the dull, damaged and frizzy part of my hair which has been over processed for years.

Instead of sulfates, the raspberry shampoo uses cleansers derived from coconut oil (cocomidapropyl betaine) and sugar. It also has organic red raspberry leaf extract, which adds vitamins A and C, calcium, and magnesium. There are no parabens, phthalates, silicones, or petroleum based ingredients, and they do not test either the ingredients or the finished product on animals, which is important to me as ...

• an animal lover.

The package warns that there may be color variations since it is a natural product, so I was not alarmed when I saw a bit of a brown tinge to the cap from where some of the liquid had been leaked. The rest of the tube was fine. I loved the smell.

If you love fresh raspberries, this will thrill you. It doesn’t stay in your hair for very long afterward, but while you are using it, it is wonderful. The lather was pretty decent.

It was certainly better than a lot of the sulfate free products I have used. Some hardly lather at all. This felt creamy and gentle as I used it.

When I rinsed it out, my hair, even wet, felt very soft. After

drying it, I have to hand it to them– my hair did shine. It was very shiny, but didn’t really seem to have a lot of volume to it.

This is important, as without some help from my shampoo, you can sometimes see my scalp through my thin hair and this does not make me happy. Although I love the way it smells and feels, I will probably not buy this again once it is used up, because I need the volume boost that other shampoos can give me. I reserve this one for when I know I will be doing a flat-iron style, as it actually helps with that.

I would recommend this to anyone who does not have thin hair, but wants a natural shampoo that actually lathers and smells fantastic.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3417071510850931/k2311a0717/7.17.11