Solgar Chewable Calcium Supplement 500 mg 120 ct. Wafers  » Health  »
  • I hate swallowing big pills, and most of the calcium products I found were made into huge tablets
  • I was happy when I discovered the Solgar brand which makes a coconut flavored calcium chewable
  • The one potential problem with the product was that it was made with cane sugar
  • I love coconut flavor, so I was excited to try these– but not expecting too much, since they are a supplement, not a candy
  • I recommend these for anyone who loves coconut and has to take calcium

• by reviewabit

When my doctor told me to take calcium supplements, I tried several brands. I hate swallowing big pills, and most of the calcium products I found were made into huge tablets. I needed a higher potency, and taking most chewable brands only gave me half the calcium I needed, and since I had to take more of them, they ended up being really expensive. I was happy when I discovered the Solgar brand which makes a coconut flavored calcium chewable.

Although each wafer only contained 250 mg, and I had to take two, the bottle had 120 so it was a months supply– for much less than I had been paying for other chewables. The one potential problem with the product was that it was made with cane

sugar. I am diabetic, so I have to be careful about how many carbohydrates and sugars I consume.

I did not know if this supplement was going to cause a spike in my blood sugar, but I was willing to take the chance. I thought if it did cause a problem to take both wafers at once, I could split the dose up, thus lessening the impact on my glucose readings. I love coconut flavor, so I was excited to try these– but not expecting too much, since they are a supplement, not a candy.

As it turned out, they might as well have been a candy. They are incredibly sweet and I loved them! The coconut flavor is strong, not the wimpy barely there flavor that you get even with ...

• most coconut flavored candies. They are dry, and have a bit of a chalky texture, but I was satisfied that they were pleasant enough to take despite the texture.

When I first took the two at once, I immediately wondered about the blood sugar impact, because these tasted very sweet– much sweeter than most flavored supplements, and I have used quite a few– including gummy vitamins and even chocolate with supplements included. This was just really, really sweet– so I took my blood sugar and found that there had been a raise of about twenty five points. This was a problem that was easily solved.

I took one wafer in the morning, and one at night. This knocked the carb level down enough that it was barely noticeable on my readings.

/> I took the product for about four months, before discovering that the store where I was buying them was no longer going to carry them.

I then had to look for a place online to order them, but was disappointed that I would have to pay shipping costs. This made the product much less affordable, and I was faced with having to make the difficult but practical decision of going back to tablets. Needless to say, I was bummed out.

I miss my coconut wafers. If I ever find them at a decent price with free shipping, I will definitely stock up. I recommend these for anyone who loves coconut and has to take calcium.

If you don’t have to pay shipping, they are an awesome deal.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3417071510750931/k2311a0717/7.17.11