Beats by Dr. Dre Studio High Definition Headphones  » Electronics  »
  • I’ve definitely listened to headphones more superior than this (e
  • The sound quality doesn’t drown you in roaring bass, unlike those subwoofer-sporting headphones (though I like them a lot), and plays nuanced sound when listening to soft music
  • I stand neutral to this issue, but I think it's a potential problem that could get worse in the long run
  • Not so much on fantastic sound, I’ll recommend the headphones for style and comfort – if you deem that’s worth paying pots of money

• by jhunie

I’m a finicky person when it comes to headphones. Not so long ago, I pined for over-ear headphones, thinking they were cool. Then I stopped wearing them in a while and went back to in-ear buds, because, in hindsight, they’re more comfortable than headphone cups. What could possibly spark back my enthusiasm for wearing headphones? Simple. It’s the Beats by Dr. Dre studio-grade headphones.

I won’t claim to be well-versed in discussing studio-quality sound, but I’ll say anyway that Beats by Dr. Dre delivers topnotch sound reproduction. I’ve definitely listened to headphones more superior than this (e.g. Kloss, Bose). Music comes out clear (sounds really good for most genres, except electronica beats lack the thump). I don’t particularly think the headphones optimize the bass, although it’s palpable. The sound quality doesn’t drown you in roaring bass, unlike those subwoofer-sporting headphones (though I like them a lot), and plays nuanced sound when listening to soft music. On the other hand, I’ll use a superlative in stating that this has to be the loudest headphone my ears have heard. I listen on my iphone, and the volume goes through

the roof if I amp up the volume above 55 percent. At 80 to 90 percent, the volume is ear-splittingly loud. And that probably accounts for its noise-cancellation function. If you happen to be listening to a sound file that has super poor quality, the headphones exaggerate annoying static in the background. It’s like listening to your old stereo. So the headphones don’t have that sound-enhancing touch.

Where it ultimately pays off is in the comfortable design. In a nutshell, it’s the most comfortable pair of headphones. Instead of saying, it cups my ears, the padded headband and soft leather cups almost snuggle my head, without numbing my ears. The headband never snags my hair. By form alone, Dr. Dre crafted a pair of professional headphones that looks handsome to wear inside, as well as outside the studio – and no you don’t have to be a professional to wear these headphones. It certainly looks deceiving; one wouldn’t think it’s another geeky headphone. A power switch on one side of the cups turns it off and on.

The cable is normally a permanent fixture in most headphones.

• Dr. Dre keeps things neat and orderly by making the cable detachable on both ends. I quite liked this setup. As such, the headphones are easy to stow, because there’s no cable tailing them. The Monster cable, as it’s termed on the manual, prevents signal loss. Are you sure? That I find rather questionable. In relation to the touted shockproof cable (sounds like it), I’ll state that the headphones are not good for working out. The sound drops when I’m walking around the house; the chord, particularly the end connected to the headphone (not to the music player), is sensitive to movements and should not be budged. I apprehended that the headphones, still barely used, were going haywire when the music fluctuated from loud to barely audible. You just give it a light tap to stabilize the music. If you’re not moving around so much, the headphones are fine. I stand neutral to this issue, but I think it’s a potential problem that could get worse in the long run. It makes you dubious about the supposed high quality of this professional audio gear.

Apart from

making great music, what else really could a pair of headphones do? Well the beats headphones – no I’m not talking about a mobile headset – have an answering function to boot. You can use the iSoniTalk cable for its call-answering function. It also has an inconspicuous mute button. Either way, the headphones enable you to answer back to the person you’re conversing with, mobile or in person, by a button conveniently located on the right headphone or pressing the call-answering button of the cable, respectively. The mute button clears off the music, so I can talk back and hear my surroundings. By releasing the button, you resume the music, but note that this function does not control the playback on your music device. It doesn’t prompt the device to pause the music, so you don’t get back to the point in a song whereupon you cancelled the sound. Price-wise, it’s bordering on unattainable (500 dollars here), and I’m just happy my brother lends it to me. Not so much on fantastic sound, I’ll recommend the headphones for style and comfort – if you deem that’s worth paying pots of money.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1615071510400431/k2311a0715/7.15.11