Hickory Grove Road in Starkville, MS  » Travel  »
2.0
Hickory Grove Road. Starkville, MS 39759
  • I try to avoid traveling along this road when possible
  • You can take this route when traveling from Starkville, MS to Columbus but I wouldn't recommend it
  • One of the main reasons that I don't like it is because of the condition of it
  • It's one of the worst roads in the area in my opinion
  • Considering that it has so many problems I don't believe you should even consider driving it

• by John

I try to avoid traveling along this road when possible. It’s located somewhat outside the town of Starkville. You can take this route when traveling from Starkville, MS to Columbus but I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s located just off of the west ended of Highway 82 in Starkville, MS. When driving east out of town you are able to enter it on the right side. The entire thing is about seven miles long. At the beginning of it there’s somewhat of a weird intersection. Two roads actually intersect in place here and if you are not careful you may not notice it.

One of the main reasons that I don’t like it is because of the condition of it. It’s one of the worst roads in the area in my opinion. It’s uneven in a lot of areas and it also has a lot of pot holes throughout the entire road. It’s really a hassle when trying to avoid

the bad spots on the surface. I have not had any car damage by driving on it but it seems like if you are not too careful you could cause some damage. Another thing about the surface is that it’s completely unpaved near the end. The only thing that it has near the end section which is about half a mile is dirt and rocks. It’s just hard to drive and that’s why I wanted to mention this.

Another thing that is a bit of an issue is that it has a lot of twists and turns. Considering the condition of the road in my opinion it doesn’t mix very well together to have so many turns. If you are driving it for the first time I would certainly recommend driving as slow as possible not only because there are so many twists and turns but also because of the fact that there are so many low spots and pot holes. Another ...

• thing that I don’t like about the condition of the road is that it doesn’t have any type of paint whatsoever to divide the lanes on the road. I believe that the worst time to drive on it is after it has rained. When it rains there is a lot of spots on the road that hold the water on the road instead of allowing it to roll off. Also near the end of the road it’s located in somewhat of a low area so when it rains a lot which is does a bit in this area during certain months I have noticed that it floods this entire area of the road. If you are not in a truck or SUV you certainly would want to avoid this portion of the road when it’s raining.

There is also not a lot of scenary. The only thing on the road is a lot of trees and a few houses. There are a

few farms and areas but that’s probably the best thing that you’ll find when it comes to scenary. There is a lot of litter along the sides of the road and the grass is very tall so it just doesn’t seem like it has been very well maintained in my opinion which is a bit disappointing. There are a lot of better roads around it so it can be easily avoided. It’s just very time consuming to have to drive a road that’s in such bad condition.

I would highly recommend avoiding it when possible. The main problem that I have is with the surface of it. One somewhat good thing about it is that there are no stop signs or traffic lights so that helps to make it just a bit quicker to travel. In my opinion it’s too much of a hassle and should be avoided. Considering that it has so many problems I don’t believe you should even consider driving it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3814071509551031/k2311a0714/7.14.11