Doctor’s Best Calcium Bone Maker Complex Supplement 120 Tablets  » Health  »
  • When my doctor told me I needed to take a calcium supplement, I bought a few over the counter ones that looked pretty decent
  • The supplement itself was less than fifteen dollars, so it was certainly in the affordable realm, but I was a bit disappointed to find that I would have to take four tablets each day
  • The second week brought another problem, and one that I had expected from the start
  • I think this is probably a great supplement if you have a serious bone density problem or broken bones that need repairing, but for the nausea and other effects, I would stick to regular old calcium unless I had a very special need for this product

• by reviewabit

When my doctor told me I needed to take a calcium supplement, I bought a few over the counter ones that looked pretty decent. When I was discussing it with a friend who knows a lot more about supplements than I do, she insisted I needed something of a better quality. The product she wanted me to have a look at was Doctor’s Best “Bone Maker” supplement.

Instead of just offering calcium or calcium plus vitamin D alone, this product has added vitamin C and K, and also minerals that are also needed for bone formation and for the calcium to work correctly. These are potassium, magnesium (which I am a big

believer in), zinc, copper, manganese, and boron.

All of these components, not just calcium, are needed for healthy bones. I often suffer from muscle cramps due to fibromyalgia, and I was hopeful that the extra calcium could help that as well, since lack of calcium is linked to cramps, although not necessarily to fibromyalgia.

The label of the product, when I finally found it in the store, was pretty straightforward, but it did have one thing on it that I did not recognize, which was called microcrystalline hydroxyapatite. It turned out to be a naturally occurring mineral form of calcium apatite, and another bone builder.

The supplement itself was less than fifteen dollars, so it was certainly in the affordable realm, but I was a bit disappointed to find that I would have to take four tablets each day. This made it look a whole lot less economical than the cheap calcium supplements I had been using before.

It is a bit inconvenient as well, to have to stop four time a day– you are supposed to take them in divided doses after meals. I don’t have a fourth meal, so I took the last one with a snack.

I have a tendency to have bad stomach and bowel reactions to new supplements, especially if they have minerals ...

• Doctor's Best Calcium Bone Maker Complex Supplement 120 Tablets
      in them. I was not sure what would happen with this one.

After the first dose, I seemed fine, and even after the first day there didn’t seem to be much of a reaction as long as I took it with food. Oddly, as a week and a half went by, I started to have heartburn at night more often, and I had to take over the counter products in addition to my regular heartburn prevention to manage the symptom.

The second week brought another problem, and one that I had expected from the start. Every dose I was taking was making me really nauseous.

I was taking them

with normally sized meals, so obviously food was not the solution. I persevered with the tablets until the bottle ran out, but by then I had spoken to my doctor, who suggested I stick with the original plan.

He said I was more than likely getting what I needed from my diet and my multivitamin and did not need the “special” calcium which was upsetting my stomach. I think this is probably a great supplement if you have a serious bone density problem or broken bones that need repairing, but for the nausea and other effects, I would stick to regular old calcium unless I had a very special need for this product.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3413071509261031/k2311a0713/7.13.11