Paul Mitchell Color Protect Shampoo 10.14 oz  » Health  »
2.5
  • This was before I knew about the sulfate issue
  • I used the shampoo for about a month or so when I bought it originally
  • When I dried my hair, I had static and fly-aways in the back, and I noticed that even when I used a good conditioner, my hair just didn’t have the usual silky texture it did with other shampoos, even less expensive ones
  • It makes a decent shampoo for normal to oily hair, but I would not recommend it for dry or colored hair at all, ironically

• by reviewabit

I have always been a fan of Paul Mitchell’s tea tree shampoo, if for just the smell alone. I do color my hair, and I have been using sulfate free shampoos lately, both to protect the color and to lessen my exposure to the chemical detergents so that they will not thin out my hair. I was looking in my closet the other day and came across a half used bottle of this Paul Mitchell shampoo.

I had bought it when

my hairdresser recommended it for prolonging the level of color in my hair. This was before I knew about the sulfate issue.

I instinctively looked at the back of the bottle, and was surprised to find not one, but two sulfates listed. It also has the coconut derived detergent, cocamidopropyl betaine, which is often used as a replacement for sulfates in sulfate free shampoos and body washes.

It also has sunflower extract, and this is what it claims helps protect the color. I used the shampoo for about a month or so when I bought it originally.

The reason I switched was not due to the color fading, it was because the shampoo was making my hair look dry. This would seem unusual for a brand like Paul Mitchell, but it is what happened.

It makes a great lather, cleans very well– a little too well, perhaps. When I dried my hair, I had static and fly-aways in ...

• Paul Mitchell Color Protect Shampoo 10.14 oz
      the back, and I noticed that even when I used a good conditioner, my hair just didn’t have the usual silky texture it did with other shampoos, even less expensive ones.

It is pleasant enough to use, as it has a nice fresh smell and creamy lather. It certainly makes your hair feel clean.

I made a note to ask my friend, who is also a hairdresser, about the sulfates in the product and why it would not have changed the

formula when it was known that sulfates faded color. I did ask, and she did not really know.

She supposed that they did not want to change a product that had been around a long time and obviously was working for some people, sulfates or not. With so many sulfate-free options out there, I would not use this shampoo to protect my hair color now.

It makes a decent shampoo for normal to oily hair, but I would not recommend it for dry or colored hair at all, ironically.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3413071508680931/k2311a0713/7.13.11