Clairol Balsam Color 611 Medium Brown Hair Color Kit
0.5
  • I bought it because it was very inexpensive, and someone had told me it was a good product
  • I found the color easy to apply but a bit runny
  • I would not recommend this product due to my experience

• by reviewabit

I color my hair at home so I don’t have to pay salon prices. I have used a variety of brands, and one of the first I tried was Clairol’s Balsam Color. I bought it because it was very inexpensive, and someone had told me it was a good product. My hair at the time was a medium brown, mixed with some gray.

I found the color easy to apply but a bit runny. I was constantly wiping up drips as I worked with it. When I was finally colored, although there was not a harsh smell, my scalp began to itch like crazy.

This had happened in the salon in the past and I just

assumed it would go away once I rinsed out the color. When the time was up, I was relieved to wash the product out of my hair. At first, I though the itching had stopped.

When I dried my hair and took a look at it, the color turned out very dark. It was at least three shades darker than my natural hair color, although the picture on the box matched my head almost identically. The condition of the hair was a little bit drier than before, but not too bad.

It did look shiny. Although the color wasn’t what I was going for, I got used to it and it sort of grew on me.

• That night, I woke up in the early hours of the morning with my scalp itching again, even worse than when the product was on my head.

The edges of my ears also itched, where the hair color had leaked onto them while it was developing. I tried to ignore it, but must have ended up scratching it in my sleep, because I had sores in my scalp when I woke up. I stopped by the salon where I get my hair cut and asked what I should do.

I was given a special shampoo to use and told to wash it, but then leave it unwashed for a couple of days. I did

this. The shampoo left a nice tingly feeling in my scalp and the itching stopped.

I didn’t wash for three days after that, and my scalp felt ok, but on the third day I saw that it was flaking. I had never had dandruff, and this freaked me out. I called the salon again and was told that it would probably just be a temporary thing.

Fortunately, this was true. Once my scalp healed up, it never happened again– and I never used Balsam Color again. I have not had a reaction to any other hair color like this, so I assume I must be allergic to one of the ingredients.

I would not recommend this product due to my experience.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3412071508490531/k2311a0712/7.12.11