Kewpie Japanese Mayonnaise
  • I have been used to the taste of Lady’s Choice and I have been hating the sweet and sour taste to it but I never had any other good choices that gave the best taste I was looking for

• by asg

I have been craving for Japanese food so my sister decided to make sushi for the day. We went to the Japanese supermarket nearby and looked for ingredients for our home-made sushi. We finally bought all the ingredients needed and then we decided we needed a good mayonnaise to use. We then found the Kewpie Japanese Mayonnaise. I must admit, it looks very simple since you can buy it wrapped in a clear plastic container and the mayonnaise is not in a jar. Instead, it is placed in a tube of plastic with a nice flip top cover. It costs around $5 for a single tube that holds 17oz of

yellow mayonnaise.

I was hesitant to use it but then I wanted to try the real Japanese mayo taste. We then made our sushi and proceeded to roll them and afterward I added the Kewpie Mayo at the top of my sushi. I ate one and I was surprised at how tasty it was. The taste was just right. It was not too salty, it was not too sweet and it was not too sour. I have been used to the taste of Lady’s Choice and I have been hating the sweet and sour taste to it but I never had any other good choices that gave the best taste I ...

• was looking for. It was only this Kewpie Mayonnaise that really filled my taste buds with a great creamy mayonnaise taste that is just right. It is not just perfect for Japanese food, but I put it also on other food like fried chicken, hotdogs, fried dumplings, etc. For some reason, no American mayonnaise could surpass the perfect mix of the Kewpie Mayonnaise.

I guess the only downside is the bottle container. Since it is made of pliable plastic, it bends when it is halfway empty, making it difficult to stand on tables. This sucks because unlike the other bottles of mayonnaise, this one bends and falls on the table.

However, this is really a minor problem. It is reasonably priced and the prices are almost at the same level as the other American brands of mayonnaise. I would really prefer to choose this over the usual brands because the taste is creamier and the sourness and saltiness are balanced. It takes forever to finish an entire plastic bottle so I eat it with lots of food – salads, barbeque, chicken, fried dumplings, hotdogs, fish and whatever I would put mayonnaise on. The tip of the plastic cover has a small hole that could make you draw some designs on your food (like what I did on my sushi) with small swirls.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2712071507930431/k2311a0712/7.12.11