Hormel Turkey Chili  » Food  »
  • Steamed rice must now take the place of delicious fried rice
  • When I think of Hormel, I think of SPAM and that Michael Moore’s documentary “The American Dollar”

• by carblover

When I transitioned from my late teens to my 20s, I started to watch what I ate. Sadly, this meant no more deep-fried foods, substituting lean meats for beef, upping my vegetable intake about three times, and watching the amount of sugar I ate. This is sadly what being an adult is partly about. No more fried chicken, cole slaw and biscuits. Sausage and pepperoni on pizza must now be replaced with vegetables. Steamed rice must now take the place of delicious fried rice. Another major substitution I had to make was replacing ground beef with ground turkey.

I loved chili as a child. I’m talking

about chili with ground beef and no beans with grated cheese and a dollop of sour cream sprinkled with chopped cilantro. Since I’ve grown more sensible in diet with age, the chopped cilantro can stay, the rest must go or be replaced. Whenever I see a chili product being offered, I check it out. Recently, at Dierbergs, there was a sale on Hormel Chili and I happened to also have a coupon for a dollar off for four cans. They offered some healthier alternatives, such as turkey chili and vegetarian chili. Since I used to eat chili without beans, having all beans is not a preferable option; so vegetarian ...

• was out. That left turkey chili.

When I think of Hormel, I think of SPAM and that Michael Moore’s documentary “The American Dollar”. When I opened the can, I half-expected the product to come slithering out in one mass, like jellied cranberry sauce. I was glad to find that it wasn’t the case. I could discern from bean from turkey and turkey from bean. The consistency was thick and chunky, a desirable feature in feature. Although it was a bit on the salty side, there was a proportional amount of bean and turkey. The sauce was smoky and reasonable well-seasoned and rounded. I had some grated low-fat

cheese around and it tasted very nice melted on top of the chili. One thing I was missing from the chili was heat. I like my chili to be on the spicy side; I would have like less saltiness and more spiciness.

I guess that’s what manufacturers do when they take the fat out of a product: replace it with excess sugar or salt. The chili was reasonably good and fulfilling, a bit salty for my taste. It would be good on top of rice or with bread. I got an especially good deal because I had a dollar off coupon. I ended up paying only $0.75 for each can.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 279071506400431/k2311a079/7.9.11