Cutter Unscented Insect Repellent 6 oz spray  » Health  »
  • I like to spend time outdoors in the summer, and living in the deep South, one gets used to the reality that we are not the only creatures living here
  • In general, I prefer non-aerosols, but I have to admit, you do get more even coverage with the aerosol, even though it seems the product does not last as long
  • When I tried out the spray after applying my sun block, I found that it sprays very evenly, does not choke me with a horrible scent, and most importantly, works
  • I think I will be ok with the DEET for now

• by reviewabit

I like to spend time outdoors in the summer, and living in the deep South, one gets used to the reality that we are not the only creatures living here. I am talking about mosquitoes, commonly referred to as “skeeters” here, or sometimes by less friendly names. They will try to eat you alive, and of course they can be carrying West Nile Virus, so it is a good idea to make yourself not taste good. In the last couple of years, I have been reading that the DEET used in most mainstream mosquito repellents is not a healthy thing for humans, so I have tried a few natural DEET free brands to see if I could replace it with something else that was effective.

So far, I have

not been too impressed. There were a couple of products that seemed to work temporarily, but had to be reapplied so often that it was not worth their ridiculously high price. Other just didn’t work at all.

Even the famous Avon Skin So Soft was no match for our skeeters. I tried using natural oils but found that they only worked sometimes and not consistently. This year, I grew weary of trying.

I gave in and bought a product that I knew worked–Cutter. Like Off, which is another effective brand, Cutter contains DEET. I chose the Cutter this year over Off because it was on sale, nothing more.

As far as I can tell, the products are equally effective, but Off offers more variety. Since ...

• my sun block is unscented, I figured I would get the unscented Cutter too, that way I could wear whatever else I wanted with no interference. The Cutter is in an aerosol can.

In general, I prefer non-aerosols, but I have to admit, you do get more even coverage with the aerosol, even though it seems the product does not last as long. When I tried out the spray after applying my sun block, I found that it sprays very evenly, does not choke me with a horrible scent, and most importantly, works. No mosquitoes bothered me at all when I wore it.

I pay special attention to my ankles, since for some reason the little bugs love them more than any other part of

me. I am happy to say my ankles are bite free after spending hours outside. The only thing I don’t like about wearing the spray is that it has a slight oily and sticky feel, and leaves a shine.

I finally found a sun block that does not feel greasy or look shiny, but I don’t get to enjoy that benefit when the insect repellent is shiny and sticky on top of it. This is a good product. If DEET is really dangerous, I suppose you have to weigh it with the dangers of letting yourself get bitten by bugs that carry diseases and can at the very least turn your skin into an itch-fest.

I think I will be ok with the DEET for now.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 345071504161231/k2311a075/7.5.11