Equate Ultra Weight Loss Shake Strawberries ‘N Cream 6 pk  » Health  »
  • I like the meal replacement shake idea, since healthy food takes longer to prepare– I like to have a quick option for when I don’t have time for a full meal
  • I have used the shakes made for diabetics (Glucerna) and they are great but not really cost effective
  • I bought the strawberry and chilled them overnight
  • It was actually pretty good– a little sweeter than I thought it would be
  • I would recommend these in general as a meal replacement– healthy, and quick

• by reviewabit

I am always trying to lose weight. As a diabetic it is important for my health. I have to be careful about what weight loss tools I use though, so that they do not have a dramatic effect on my blood sugar. I like the meal replacement shake idea, since healthy food takes longer to prepare– I like to have a quick option for when I don’t have time for a full meal.

I have used the shakes made for diabetics (Glucerna) and they are great but not really cost effective. I took a closer look at the shakes available at

Walmart, and found a compromise I could live with. The Equate Ultra shakes are a generic equivalent to the Slimfast Ultra shakes.

They have milk, protein, calcium, and twenty four essential vitamins and minerals. Like the Slimfast, you can use them to replace one or two meals and then have a sensible third meal. I only ever use them to replace one meal.

I have IBS and my bowels would wage a war on me if I skipped two meals. One I can get away with! This product is artificially sweetened with sucralose but also has fructose. It is considerably low calorie, but has a few carbs– which is ok, I need a few if I am replacing a meal.

I bought the strawberry and chilled them overnight. I tossed one into my purse on a day when I knew I would not have time to stop for lunch. When the time came to drink it, it was still cold.

I shook it and tried a sip. It was actually pretty good– a little sweeter than I thought it would be. It was somewhat filling.

I have never been completely satisfied after a meal replacement shake, so I am ...

•    Equate Ultra Weight Loss Shake Strawberries 'N Cream 6 pk
      not the one to judge if they deter the appetite of most. It did taste good, and I got the nutrition I needed. I was able to make it until dinner without feeling too tired or hungry.

I didn’t get any hunger pangs, although I certainly could have eaten something. The effects on my blood sugar were minimal. It is not true that diabetics can only use products specifically made for diabetics.

If you learn about what makes your blood sugar tick, you can safely choose foods based on their own merits and not just what they are marketed for. This

shake had the same effect on my blood sugar as my usual lunch would have, and is probably even more balanced- so I feel that it is an appropriate product for me. I would not replace more than one meal a day with the product for my IBS, but also because I think it is important to eat as much whole food as you can.

I have even used the shakes for a solid week to replace lunch, and not only did I feel fine, I dropped a few pounds. I would recommend these in general as a meal replacement– healthy, and quick.

Weleca says :

re : I have used the shakes made for diabetics (Glucerna) and they are great but not really cost effective
I am diabetic and I have used Glucerna shakes to try and shed pounds, So that I can kick diabetes all together, But these shakes only made me feel hungry. And not to mention the cost. I tried using these shakes with a exercise routine and I found myself thinking of food more than half the day because I wasn’t getting full and the shakes were not suppressing my appetite at all.

Joanna says :

I have tried the skakes a few times myself, but I have never had good luck with them. You are right, the cost is so exorbant that I have a really hard time justifying the purchase. In the end I just ended making my own. Even though buying the initial ingredients like whey protein and fruit were a little more expensive, they went a lot further and I was able to adjust the amount of splenda and whey protein that I used. Making my own shakes was a much better investment than purchasing the premade ones.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 345071504081231/k2311a075/7.5.11