The Commonplace Coffeehouse and Roastery  » Restaurants  »
1176 Grant Street, Indiana, PA 15701
  • It is actually located practically on campus right by the main dining hall, which is extremely convenient for coffee breaks between classes
  • I was pleasantly surprised by how good the coffee was, but it is actually very delicious
  • They brew everything fresh, which only adds to the experience
  • I would highly recommend stopping in The Commonplace at least once to try it out
  • I don't think I have ever had a bad experience here or any reason to complain from the entire two years I have been going

• by Alanna Rosewood

The Commonplace is my favorite coffee place in Indiana, PA, and that’s saying a lot because there are at least five or six quality coffee shops just within walking distance of campus. That’s not even including the rest of the town. In fact, I’ve never heard anyone say anything bad about The Commonplace, and I have lived in the area with a population of certified coffee addicts and connoisseurs.

It is actually located practically on campus right by the main dining hall, which is extremely convenient for coffee breaks between classes. I was pleasantly surprised by how good the coffee was, but it is actually very delicious. No matter what I order, from Americanos to Lattes to Italian Ice, it is always delicious. They brew everything fresh, which only adds to the experience.

Even the food is good, although it is only snack and brunch food, not actual meals. It’s actually a pretty handy setup because they have a microwave and toaster if you want to toast a bagel or heat up a muffin or something, and all of that is right next to the pick-up counter which has all kinds of syrups and creams, etc. that you can add to your drink once it’s done. This is actually how I weaned myself into drinking regular coffee rather than the higher calorie but less intense coffee drinks.

The service is really great too. It’s a counter service place similar to Starbucks, but the people who work there are friendly and a lot of fun to interact with. One time, for instance, they ran out of the ...

• iced coffee drink that I wanted, so the guy who was working behind that counter and I ended up experimenting with the coffee condenser. We made a whole new improvised iced coffee that wasn’t half bad and I had fun and a show in the process. This adds to the relaxed and homey atmosphere of the whole cafe. It attracts a mostly college-aged crowd, but a lot of locals come in there too (they’re lured in by the tasty coffee). There are some extremely comfy couches and chairs for people who want to lounge, but there is also restaurant style seating for those who prefer that. I usually sit there because I usually bring my laptop and do some homework while I drink my coffee. There WiFi connection is particularly convenient and makes
        it more likely that I will go to The Commonplace rather than somewhere else. It’s usually pretty quiet, but not the uncomfortable library quiet, so it’s a really nice place to sit and do homework, chat with friends, or just sit around and unwind from a stressful day.

I would highly recommend stopping in The Commonplace at least once to try it out. The drinks are amazing, the service great, and the environment relaxing. I don’t think I have ever had a bad experience here or any reason to complain from the entire two years I have been going. I can usually think of at least one drawback to pretty much everything, but I honestly can’t think of anything to warn readers about for The Commonplace. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 729061502441230/k2311a0629/6.29.11