Natures Way Artichoke Standardized Extract 60 ct
  • I bought the Nature’s Way brand, because I was able to find it locally, so I could save on shipping costs
  • Unfortunately, that reprieve did not last, as something triggered it to go into the diarrhea phase
  • I decided then that since it was not helping the cholesterol, and didn’t seem to have an effect one way or another on the diarrhea, that I would just take the supplement when I was having a constipated phase
  • I would definitely recommend the product for anyone dealing with constipation issues, whether from IBS or something else

• by reviewabit

I have irritable bowel syndrome, which means frequent shifts from constipation to diarrhea, often in a very dramatic way for each. It can be quite disturbing. Unable to tolerate the prescription medication that is recommended for the condition, I treat it with natural means, using lots of fiber and over the counter medicines only when absolutely necessary. I also have high cholesterol, which I treat with garlic and fish oil.

When I heard about artichoke extract being helpful for the symptoms of IBS, particularly constipation, and that it could also help lower cholesterol, I had to try it. It sounded like a great deal, being able to treat two conditions at once with a natural supplement that was nothing other than the simple artichoke which I see whenever I go

to the grocery store. I bought the Nature’s Way brand, because I was able to find it locally, so I could save on shipping costs.

I had used Nature’s Way before so I knew the quality wold be acceptable. I started taking the capsules but did not see an obvious improvement for almost a week. When I started taking them, I was in the “slower” phase of IBS where one is more likely to encounter constipation.

I was taking a fiber supplement also, but it did not seem to be doing as well as it usually did. In the past, I had resorted to laxatives when I had a situation like this, but I was really trying to get away from doing that, as sometimes the laxatives could ...

• start a vicious circle that was hard to get out from under. After a week on the artichoke, things were moving along a little more normally.

It was not a dramatic effect, but it was a significant one. After two more weeks or so, it was almost like not having IBS any more. Unfortunately, that reprieve did not last, as something triggered it to go into the diarrhea phase.

(I never can figure out what triggers it, and that can be so frustrating!) I kept taking the artichoke anyway, since I wanted it to help my cholesterol too. It didn’t stop or ease the loose bowels, but it didn’t seem to make them any worse, so I continued with the treatment. When I had my

cholesterol checked after about a month and a half on the artichoke, there was no difference in the readings versus when I was just using the other remedies alone.

I decided then that since it was not helping the cholesterol, and didn’t seem to have an effect one way or another on the diarrhea, that I would just take the supplement when I was having a constipated phase. This is pretty much how I have used it ever since, and it works pretty reliably, although I do have the occasional bout where I have to resort to harsher means. This rare now.

I would definitely recommend the product for anyone dealing with constipation issues, whether from IBS or something else. If used with fiber, it is an excellent combination to normalize the condition.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3424061500590430/k2311a0624/6.24.11