Samsung SP-H03 Pico Projector  » Electronics  »
  • I found myself in a difficult situation where I needed my own projector for work
  • I consider that one of the tools of the trade
  • Clarity is sharper because of higher resolution (800 x 400 I think), so watching black and white movies (I do) don’t come out all gray, and I see less flickering
  • I don’t know why, but I like this kind of setup against watching in front of overtly sharp flatscreen televisions
  • Pico projectors are definitely shrinking in sizes, and the Samsung SP-H03 is among the smallest handheld-sized projectors I have used

• by jhunie

I found myself in a difficult situation where I needed my own projector for work. I consider that one of the tools of the trade. The size doesn’t have to be necessarily portable, just light enough to be movable. That in mind, well there are not much options besides pico projectors. If I intend on buying a projector, then I might as well have fun with it. And I did have fun after getting the Samsung SP-HO3 projector. It’s a little box good for presentations and entertainment.

I can set up a hi-res display through the projector on the go. My eyes can judge easily that this pico projector has amped up the amount of light from the standard picos I tried last year. Clarity is sharper because of higher resolution (800 x 400 I think), so watching black and white movies (I do) don’t come out all gray, and I see less flickering. At a farther distance, I can maximize the size of the projection to something like 70 inches, and that’s brilliant for putting up my own mini-theather. I don’t know why, but I like this kind of setup against watching in front of overtly sharp flatscreen televisions. The pictures, in black-out setting, really recreate the same balanced quality as that in a cinema. The display is easily washed out in bright

light, so evenings and low-light settings are favorable.

A detachable battery turns this semi-corporate device into an autonomous projector. I think you get more value, really, from this unit, because of the bundled battery. The projector sits atop the battery, and I like that it blends unobtrusively with the external hardware. I’m iffy about its battery life. In all instances, the official battery life was not met (2 hours according to the manual). It only lasted around an hour and a half in presentations. If you watch a movie, expect the battery to last not longer than an hour (granted in normal mode) or get more juice by switching to a power-saving mode (eco) and get twice that much playback time. I connected a sandisk portable multimedia device (sansa) on battery, and I observed that the light dimmed as video playback went on for a longer time. Generally, the projector struggles to read files on a limited battery life than connected to a power source. In that regard, I’m of the opinion that the battery’s short and volatile life limits its productivity. You can watch a 2-hour movie in it while compromising the projector’s maximum brightness (and squint your eyes in front of the watered down display). Thus, the rechargeable battery is really for brief presentations of document files.

What reinforced my decision to buy ...

• this projector were the touch-sensitive controls. Hands off that remote! This projector doesn’t need one. Its top panel has a simple touch-sensitive surface for navigating the menu. It’s a little tricky if you’re opening presentation files sans a laptop (by using its document viewer); I rather they turned it to a trackpad. It’s quite responsive though. At 1GB, its internal memory can only accommodate word documents and simple powerpoint presentations. Take your movies someplace else. It supports a handful of connections, though, for external devices and memory: flash USB sticks, external hard drive, and SD cards. Something that makes a difference in the acquisition of files is the ability to copy files from an external source and append it to the projector’s internal memory. It’s more practical for me to transfer the documents into the internal memory than risk it all in a usb drive; I’m a forgetful wag you know. Down to basic solutions, there’s always the VGA port for connecting to laptops (but not the solution for me, as I have to buy a mini display port to VGA output for my macbook air).

Pico projectors are definitely shrinking in sizes, and the Samsung SP-H03 is among the smallest handheld-sized projectors I have used. It’s boxier compared to my previous, company-owned projector, the Optoma pk101, which is another pico projector. The

Samsung projector merely stands like a cube in my palm. The projector’s weight is not different at all from a handheld gadget. If you’re a corporate warrior (like me perhaps) and you move from here and there, this is an ideal device to carry with you in presentations. Aside from projecting images, this projector deserves to be heard as well, with its built-in speakers. It’s loud enough for tight spaces, such as a boardroom meetings and watching movies, but you might consider getting separate speakers for bigger show space (that principle applies for how big you want the display too). Because of the touch-enabled controls, the projector is 99 percent free of cranky buttons; minus 1 for the focusing slider.

A few things that detract from the functionality of the projector are, first, it doesn’t work with my ipad, and, second, it cannot process jpeg pictures higher than 4mp. Just present your DSLR shots in a capable HDMI display; the projector will reject it. With the small size of this projector, there’s already so much you can do in it and very little you can’t, such as those I’ve mentioned. You have to be pretty reasonable in buying this gadget though, as it costs much (300 dollars). I totally recommend it. From boardroom to bedroom, this tiny projector fits in, and it fits in my pocket too.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1623061500180130/k2311a0623/6.23.11