Middletown Veterinary Clinic  » Pets  »
207 S Church St # A, Middletown, MD 21769
  • I really like both vets, but I prefer to see Dr. Bauk for cats and dogs
  • He was wheezing and bleeding when I found him and we rushed him to the vet at eight at night on a Saturday
  • If you're in the area and you need a quality, reliable veterinary clinic, definitely check out Middletown Vet

• by Alanna Rosewood

I currently have five cats and a dog, and I have had many other pets in the past, so I have my hands full trying to keep up with all their shots, medicines, and so on. Thankfully, the veterinarians at Middletown Veterinary Clinic take the brunt of that burden for me. All but one of my cats goes to this vet, and I will soon be transferring the last cat over to this vet as well. Whenever one of my animals is due for something I get a call and a reminder card in the mail. They are very accommodating when it comes to appointments as well, which is great for me because I work from 7am to 5pm almost every day and it is difficult for me to take off work. I actually have to take my dog in for his shots this coming week; I’m taking off a little early and they extended their hours a bit so I would be able to get there.

There are two veterinarians working out of this office: Dr. Bauk and Dr. Latchford. Dr. Bauk is the main vet, while Dr. Latchford usually spends most of her time as a farm vet going out to people’s farms. Because of this I usually take my animals to Dr. Bauk, and as

my family has been doing for at least ten years. He is a wonderful vet - he is very thorough and careful when making a diagnosis and follows up quickly if something concerns him. One of my cat’s faces started swelling once and he was losing hair, and when Dr. Bauk saw him he treated him and told us to check up with him in a couple days to give him a status report of how he was doing. We always receive test results quickly and have great service from everyone in the office. They may seem a little burly at first, but if you’re polite and know what you’re talking about they warm up right away. I assume they deal with a lot of people who don’t know much about animals, and who are thus very unhelpful and not forthcoming with information on what is wrong with their pet. Dr. Latchford is always cheerful and friendly, but she is not always available. Both Dr. Bauk and Dr. Latchford are very good at explaining things to the average nonvet without confusing them (i.e. me). I really like both vets, but I prefer to see Dr. Bauk for cats and dogs.

What is really nice is that they are also a fully licensed animal hospital as well, especially ...

• handy since they are located very close to my house. My oldest cat, who is now almost twelve years old, was bitten by a dog when he was barely a year old. He was wheezing and bleeding when I found him and we rushed him to the vet at eight at night on a Saturday. The vet usually closes by 12pm on Saturdays, but Dr. Bauk came in from home and saw him anyway. It turns out that his lung was punctured and he would have to stay confined in a wrap at the clinic for a week. We were really worried about him, but when we came back to pick him up he was as rambunctious as he was before he was bitten, if a little mad about being stuck in a crate - he was almost completely back to his normal self! He still had to be confined in a small room when we took him home, but the vet did an excellent job taking care of him and getting him back to working condition. He has never exhibited any problems stemming from this incident, so I can only assume the clinic did an excellent job patching him up. They are even great with less conventional pets like rabbits. I used to have three rabbits
        and never had to take them to the vet before until last year when I took my oldest rabbit in. He was ten years old and he was looking really terrible - we didn’t know what was wrong with him, and it was clearly something more significant than simple old age. This time we saw Dr. Latchford, who was surprised we had a rabbit his size that was so old (they’re supposed to only live to seven at the latest). She was very helpful in figuring everything out, and within no time he was back to normal.

I’ve also never had billing issues with this clinic, which I cannot say for all the vets I have ever been to. The only thing that ever took me by surprise was that they do not take Discover credit cards. They actually explained to me why, though, (it’s because Discover charges them too much to use it) and easily accommodated the situation for me. Since then I have been sure to use Visa or check. They take very good care of their frequent customers, and I swear they give my family discounts because of how many animals we bring in to them. If you’re in the area and you need a quality, reliable veterinary clinic, definitely check out Middletown Vet.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2923061500130130/k2311a0623/6.23.11