Huawei Ideos X5 smart phone  » Phones  »
  • Huawei left the top and bottom edges rounded which gave me a really comfortable experience whenever I am using it
  • Well, it's a bit mediocre if you ask me, there are other smart phones out there with a higher resolution, but I think it is more than okay
  • I don't think Huawei Ideos X5 is a multimedia phone, well, it wasn't that obvious anyways, but they did include a 5 megapixel camera at the back for taking snapshots of those unforgettable moments

• by Shuyi

I’m not a very big fan of Huawei. In fact, I haven’t really encountered much products from their company (just a modem that we have at home). Anyhow, I let this not be the deciding factor as Huawei has finally decided the pool of companies manufacturing android phones!

Huawei Ideos X5 was one of the android phones that left quite a good impression on me back when I first saw it at the CES 2011. It’s shiny black 4.7 inch tall body feels so solid whenever nestled under my palms. Huawei left the top and bottom edges rounded which gave me a really comfortable experience whenever I am using it. The metal rim on the edges however adds weight and made the device a lot heavier than other phones.

The 3.8 inch WVGA touch

screen has a resolution of 800X480 pixels. Well, it’s a bit mediocre if you ask me, there are other smart phones out there with a higher resolution, but I think it is more than okay! I mean, the colors on the images were still crisp and bright, resolution means nothing other than numbers to the ordinary users, however for hard core users such as me, I still prefer a device with the highest resolution. Nevertheless, Huawei never failed me in terms of performance because my taps and swypes were registered in a snap! Apps fired themselves just as my fingers reached for them!

Huawei Ideos X5 runs Android 2.2 (Froyo). That’s a bit disappointing though, why do most companies ship the older versions? I feel so cheated! The latest version we have is ...

• Android 2.3 Gingerbread! Huawei should have shipped it with Gingerbread! Anyhow, seeing as I cannot really do anything with it, I think most android purists will love this phone because Huawei never really thought of adding in their own user interface for vanity’s sake! They just shipped it with stock android vanilla design, so horay to android purists for that! I do appreciate Huawei for sticking with stock android because I do find it a lot faster than other phones with touchwiz or sense interface!

I don’t think Huawei Ideos X5 is a multimedia phone, well, it wasn’t that obvious anyways, but they did include a 5 megapixel camera at the back for taking snapshots of those unforgettable moments. For some reason, I am happy with picture quality! I was actually surprised, as

I think we can’t really go far with a 5 megapixel camera at hand! I was rather shocked because the images that I was able to capture seem to be jumping with colors!

Battery life however was a bit disappointing! How is 5 hours for battery life? That’s just really poor! Either my battery life is deffective, I’ve been a very abusive user, or Huawei was a being mean for including such a sucky battery! Anyhow, it was horrible, I had to carry my charger around where ever I go! I was always afraid that it would die on me anytime!

Overall, Huawei Ideos X5 is quite good entry level phone! I think first time android users will love this phone, while the oldies might just loathe it! It isn’t bad, it ain’t good either, just mediocre!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3723061499811230/k2311a0623/6.23.11