2009 Chevrolet Malibu 1LT 2.4L 4-Cylinders  » Cars  »
  • OnStar is a bit expensive though, so I prefer to hook up my cell to the car phone and just use my cell minutes, which is much cheaper and easy to do
  • XM radio is nice for long trips because I don’t have to constantly search for a station I like, but the mp3 jack does the same thing and changes up the music a bit (XM stations tend to play the same songs every day)
  • The only real comfort issue is that the roof is a little low if you’re tall
  • It is a low-riding car in general, which I don’t have a problem with, but my parents have a more difficult time getting in and out because of it
  • On the whole, I love the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu, and would highly recommend it to anyone who moves around a lot and needs a reliable and comfortable ride that will last and keep you safe

• by Alanna Rosewood

I have had my Malibu for two years now, and my mom had it for a while before that, and I must say that this is one of my favorite cars I have owned. And I was pretty attached to the car I previously owned (a 2007 Toyota Corolla), so that is saying a lot. My mom wanted me to take this car when I went to school so I would have OnStar (she was convinced I might die and would need it for emergencies). OnStar is great, actually, and I use it a lot to talk on the phone because it’s illegal in Maryland to talk on a handheld, so a system like this is perfect. OnStar is a bit expensive though, so I prefer to hook up my cell to the car phone and just use my cell minutes, which is much cheaper and easy to do. I also spend a lot of time driving both during the summer and during the academic year. During the summer I drive to and from work, which is about an hour drive, and during the year I travel between home and school every few weeks, about three hours one way. It has a wonderfully smooth ride (so don’t drive if you’re sleepy!), and it is relatively quiet as well. The only wind noise I ever hear occurs when I have my windows or sun roof open. Not only does it handle quite a bit of travel, but I also have to be able to haul a lot of stuff around when I’m moving around. The Malibu is a large enough car that I can fit almost all of my things for

my dorm inside the trunk and the back seat. I was actually pleasantly surprised as to how roomy the trunk is (it really does not look like it would be very big from the outside). The only thing I really have a hard time with is my fridge, which I have reconciled as too large for my poor car and thus have passed it on as my father’s job to haul. I also really like the look and the interior (a white car with coffee and black interior) because I feel like I’m riding in style without spending massive amounts of money on an actual sport car. Chevy’s also usually hold their value well and last a long time, and I expect this car to last for many years to come.

The Malibu is also great for groups of people traveling. Three of my friends and I took an eight hour road trip to the beach for a week and were perfectly comfortable even with all of our things packed into the car (and some of my friends don’t really understand the concept of “packing light). The seats are bucket style and extremely comfortable and there is plenty of leg room even for people with long legs; my best friend is 6 feet tall and rides comfortably in both the front and back seats. The mp3 jack makes life even better because we can listen to music we want rather than the radio. XM radio is nice for long trips because I don’t have to constantly search for a station I like, but the mp3 jack does the same thing and changes up the music a bit (XM stations tend ...

• to play the same songs every day). The only real comfort issue is that the roof is a little low if you’re tall. It is a low-riding car in general, which I don’t have a problem with, but my parents have a more difficult time getting in and out because of it. That’s just something to bear in mind if you’re contemplating buying this car.

Other than that, I particularly like the Malibu because it’s steering is responsive without being overly sensitive. I tend to have a hard hand while driving, and the Malibu doesn’t overcompensate for a slight movement of my wrist, which is a problem I have with a lot of cars like the Ford Focus and Fusion. It also gets much better mileage than I expected when we bought the car; it is only supposed to get around 27 mph highway and 21 mph city. In fact, I usually get at least 35 mph on the highway when I drive to and from school, which is about a three hour drive in the mountains. I have a rougher time driving around town, where I only get about 25 mph, but again that is in the mountains, so I’m constantly going up steep inclines. In general, it pretty much handles whatever Mother Nature and I throw at it – I drove all the way home from college in a snow storm one time and none of the roads were plowed yet. The car handled it like a dream! I also drove this car in a huge rain storm in gale force winds (I didn’t know until I got home that tornadoes had touched down in the area, which

explains a lot). In general, this car has seen me through an unusually large amount of bad weather. The traction control feature seems to help in such situations. It also does not have power seats, which I prefer because I HATE power seats. They take way too much time to adjust, especially when multiple people drive a car.

One thing I will say is that there is a bump that juts out at hip level on the driver’s side door that gets in the way when getting in and out of the car. I don’t really notice it, but my parents have the worst time with it when they drive my car; they always hit it and it hurts. The newer Chevy models have taken this out, but 2009s are stuck with it. I also wish this car had a little more horsepower, because it’s pickup is a little slow compared to other midsized cars like the Toyota Camry (we own a 2010 Camry, and I must say that it has awesome pickup). Also, my brakes have recently started to squeak, but only when I press them very lightly, not when I press hard. I’m going to have that looked into next time I have it serviced, but it has not affected the capability of my brakes so I am not particularly concerned about it at this point.

On the whole, I love the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu, and would highly recommend it to anyone who moves around a lot and needs a reliable and comfortable ride that will last and keep you safe. It’s also great for people who good car that also looks nice without selling a piece of your soul to buy it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 922061499651230/k2311a0622/6.22.11