Green Dot Online Shopping Card  » Finance  »
  • Now if you are looking for a credit card, than this may be the way to go for you, but definitely is not the right choice when looking for a Visa Gift Card that you can pay for at the store, and go home immediately, use it at any site, buy anything you want, and throw it away when it’s out
  • Though I would have to say, a Visa Gift card is the best way to go if you are looking for an easy painless way to buy items online without a real credit card

• by blainej

Just recently I purchased a Green Dot Online Shopping card from the local grocery store. Initially I was looking for a prepaid Visa card that I could use online to purchase items without the worry of having my identity stolen and losing a lot of money. What I got with the Green Dot card which was a little different.

You see, the Green Dot Online Shopping Card is not a one-use card that you can

just pay for and use immediately. The company has you register that card and attaches it to your credit report.

Knowing this, I immediately cancelled the card, which was a relatively easy process. Writing this review, I just wanted to make it very clear that this is a Credit Card and not a Visa Gift Card.

The packaging is very deceiving and I do not want any fellow consumers to get into something they don’t want to at all. Now if you are looking for a credit card, than this may be the way to go for you, but definitely is not the right choice when looking for a Visa Gift Card that you can pay for at the store, and go home immediately, use it at any site, buy anything you want, and throw it away when it’s out.

The card works by allowing you to deposit cash directly ...

• Green Dot Online Shopping Card
      on the card. You can then use the card as you would a normal credit card with a small recurring fee of 5.

95 a month. The idea being that with a credit card, you can purchase things online that you normally would not be able to.

One nice thing is that the Green Dot card allows you to cancel at any time, allowing you to stay free of any binding contract. The initial charge for

the card is 4.

95 which isn’t too bad and you can pick them up at your local grocery store as stated earlier. Though I would have to say, a Visa Gift card is the best way to go if you are looking for an easy painless way to buy items online without a real credit card.

I rate it a 7 because it does what it’s supposed to, but there are better, less expensive options out there.

Jerod says :

I concur, yes in the end it`s all about the needs of the person. Every one`s encome is clearly not the same so what tipe of card they may need will be one you may not need. Me myself, I have just learn of a way to pay less than what I am paying now and it`s good to biuld one`s credit score up for the better. I also believe its good to know when to start using a card that can help your credit as well. Meaning some people out there stand at a plaece in thier life were they can`t even build thier credit up through a card that effect one`s credit score. Instead that small monthly fee could hurt them, than help them. You clearly have an open mind that like`s to see boith side of things, that can take you a long way.

Brian David Parker says :

I am a firm beleiver that nobody should EVER spend more then they get paid bi-weekly or however that happens, but the bottom line is that building YOUR credit can start from just paying your bills on time. My advice is be open minded to weighing all of your options before deciding on using a Credit Card or a Debit Credit. Card for online shoppig. Ask yourself the benefits that you have for each option that you are looking at doing currently and then based on what is best for you to do for your situation at the time, that is what you should do, but that is how I do it. I merely am just giving you my advice though based on my own experiences and you can take and do with it as you wish with it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4222061499421230/k2311a0622/6.22.11