Dell Venue Smartphone  » Phones  »
  • For all I know, Dell develops a lot of hardware such as laptops, computers and monitors, but android phones, no
  • In my opinion, although the phone in general is a bit big for my hands, I still find it rather light and easy to carry around
  • Nevertheless, I was still impressed regarding its speed and responsiveness
  • It's supposed to make the user experience much easier through the user of widgets
  • Overall, I think Dell Venue is one of the sexiest smart phones in the planet

• by Shuyi

I was at first skeptical to see an Android Phone under Dell’s brand name! For all I know, Dell develops a lot of hardware such as laptops, computers and monitors, but android phones, no! Just no! Well, actually, they do. Dell Venue is Dell’s second android smartphone that was introduced at the CES 2011, and man did I fall in love with it!

First of all, there is the gorgeously built chassis that wraps the ultra thin smartphone into dark awesomeness! Believe me, Dell’s design of this smartphone is just rocking beautiful! The edges of the phone were covered by some silvery shaded material which made it look even more sophisticated. Actually, the design concept is rather similar to one of Dell’s laptops and I must admit it looked much cooler on the phone! The smart phone measures 4.67 inches tall, 2.52 inches wide and about .50 inches thick. In my opinion, although the phone in general is a bit big for my hands, I still find it rather light and easy to carry around. The device just slides to and from

my hands like a pro! However, I just have to make this side comment about the edges of the phone, sometimes, I use the phone for like several minutes and it could get pretty tiring and a bit uncomfortable on the hands. Dell could have made a little arch so that the device fits my concave palms perfectly. Another great thing about this phone is that its display is made of Corning’s Gorilla Glass which means there is that extra protection, so you don’t have to worry about ever scratching or shattering your phone’s display… ever!

Dell Venue runs on Android 2.2 Froyo. That’s actually a disappointment for me, the latest we have now is Android 2.3 Gingerbread and I heard that Gingerbread needs little power thus it saves a lot of battery life. It also runs on a 1GHz Snapdragon processor which is a pretty decent for any smartphone in this day and age. However, a 1.2GHz processor would have been better as it is the highest we have now. Oh well, I couldn’t really argue much on that can I?

• Nevertheless, I was still impressed regarding its speed and responsiveness! There were moments of lag, but most of the time those lags never really ruined my day.

Like HTC Android phones which showcase the Sense User Interface, DELL also threw in a custom user interface called Stage. It’s supposed to make the user experience much easier through the user of widgets. I like it really. It’s so sweet of Dell to put in a little spice of their own, however, I think Android Stock purists are going to loathe it! Most of the widgets cover the entire screen which is a bit annoying for me. It’s cool, but it would have been nice if they gave me a little control over the size of those really big icons! Overall, the User Interface looks good and it’s functional, so I have no other complains other than those enormous icons.

Venue is fortified with an 8 megapixel camera at the back. This might be good news to anybody who loves to take pictures, but I have to warn you… Picture quality sucks! The colors are

a bit faded, the contrast is really low, and colors seem to be hiding themselves. It’s like you took a picture of something on a foggy day! Even most of the videos that I took looked so poor and murky! Battery life is pretty decent too! At average, I can keep it alive for about 8 hours, then the battery needs to be recharged. I can extend it much further if I turned off the wifi and some other apps that I didn’t really need. Call Quality really needs an improvement! I don’t know why, but somehow, I had trouble comprehending whatever it is that the other person on the line is saying. It’s like I’m talking to somebody and all I can hear from him or her is loud murmur!

Overall, I think Dell Venue is one of the sexiest smart phones in the planet. It has the looks and it can keep up with performance demands pretty well. I just think that it isn’t much of a good deal since there are others better out there that you can get for the same price!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3722061499301230/k2311a0622/6.22.11