Powermat Wireless Charging System for the Iphone 3G/3GS  » Electronics  »
  • Originally, I thought it was cool that the charging system included a free (a separate buy for other bundles) iphone case
  • At the office, without a powermat, a convenient solution is plugging apple’s USB cable to my laptop for recharging
  • The problem is it takes significantly longer to reach a full charge in this setup
  • Although it’s possible to do such tasks while phone is laid upon the charging mat, I think doing so puts the phone in distress, because the back of the phone normally gets warmer
  • Where it’s exceedingly necessary, only, I recommend it

• by jhunie

I broke my iphone charger. That’s the simplest way to begin this review and yet the worst that happened to me lately. I don’t know if it’s Apple’s design flaw or my fault that the USB cable snapped. I have slightly sweaty thumbs, and I find the USB connector of the iphone cable just too smooth to allow better hold as I tug it out of the port. So there. I broke the thing. I replaced it with a dedicated wireless charging system by Powermat.

Originally, I thought it was cool that the charging system included a free (a separate buy for other bundles) iphone case. My iphone 3g is encased already by a protective clip-on. The prospect of changing it sounds like a good idea, so I can dress it in a new casing. The case, custom-fitted for the iphone, is a receiver that wirelessly transfers energy from the mat to the iphone. It is, therefore, an indispensable part of the whole unit, and entails that the phone be outfitted in it at all times. The design of the case doesn’t appeal to me; it looks geekier than any case I’ve seen or used. I’m stuck with it, nevertheless, if

I intend to use the powermat. It was bulky to be honest. But you know what? The added weight plus the matte surface of the plastic cover gave my hands a better grip, and through which my touch-typing skill improved somewhat. Incidentally, I need not purchase a new synching cable. There’s a micro-USB cable in the package that connects to the corresponding, inbuilt port of the case for synching. Other users who gravitate to other accessories, by way of docking, may find that impractical.

At the heart of this wireless charging concept is the most relevant question of whether it delivers a good charge – and does it do the job fast enough? I would say yes to both. At the office, without a powermat, a convenient solution is plugging apple’s USB cable to my laptop for recharging. The problem is it takes significantly longer to reach a full charge in this setup. Of all the chargers I’ve encountered in my life, Apple’s toy-ish yet speedy wall charger is simply the fastest there is. Worthy of mention is that a single charging cycle thru Apple’s wall adapter only takes approximately an hour, even less. The powermat cannot beat that record ...

• time, though it’s certainly much bearable to stick with it for an hour and maybe another half hour of charging, if done without interruptions, to fully replenish the battery. Charging in my laptop would last nearly 3 hours. I’m absolutely ticked off every time I frantically pry open the rubber covers to locate the hidden, tight-spaced USB ports found at the side of my laptop. With powermat, I say goodbye to them USB ports.

The real advantage of a powermat, which dawned on me later, is not arguably that it works to replace the iphone charger, but it makes the unavoidable moments – when you’re spurred to send a message or call someone – easier to pick up the phone as well as to put it back. It’s this touch-in-cheek process of recharging the phone. Although it’s possible to do such tasks while phone is laid upon the charging mat, I think doing so puts the phone in distress, because the back of the phone normally gets warmer. Why do that, when I can have full mobility of using the phone as I normally do and place it back? The mat, particularly for this set, takes very little space in my desk, and I love

that it functions like a charging station for my iphone when needed. The shape of the powermat for the iphone 3g and the materials by which it’s constructed resemble a broadband modem. As it’s only made for the iphone 3g, also 3gs, the surface fits to the back of the iphone casing perfectly, so there’s hardly a chance of it falling off.

It was somehow worth paying for the other trivial features the regular apple charger didn’t have. My phone’s battery would have exploded or be dead right now had I not purchased the powermat. Why? I sometimes forget and leave my phone charging for hours on end. When my phone is full, the powermat automatically ends the charge. See. It has a mind of its own. In case a portion of the battery is consumed, the powermat also automatically refills the battery. This was the most expensive charger I bought (50 dollars). It’s not a staple for your iphone. Where it’s exceedingly necessary, only, I recommend it. This type of technology is potentially revolutionary, though it’s half-baked, I admit, as of now. Well breaking my iphone charger led me to more costs, but I’m glad to have discovered a useful gadget.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1621061499060430/k2311a0621/6.21.11