Tiger Balm Extra Strength Pain Relieving Ointment 0.63 oz  » Health  »
  • Tea tree and clove make an interesting combination
  • My first experience with Tiger Balm was before I ever developed fibromyalgia
  • More recently, I found a jar in the medicine cabinet, and applied it to an aching back, where it totally took my mind of the pain for a good two hours
  • I highly recommend Tiger Balm for anyone who needs a strong pain rub and likes the icy feel of a powerful formula counter-irritant

• by reviewabit

I have fibromyalgia, so I am very familiar with most of the pain rubs out there. The majority of them are counter-irritants. This would include all of the menthol rubs like Mineral Ice or Ben Gay, which rely on substances that create a cooling or heating effect on the sensory nerves of the skin. This distracts the brain from the pain signals that are being sent.

This works quite well actually, and makes it seem as if the pain itself is lessening, when it is actually only your perception of it. Since fibromyalgia is more of a nerve disease than anything else, this concept works really well with that type of pain. Tiger balm is a classic example of a counter-irritant pain rub, and a

good one.

The small ointment jars have been used all over the world and are strong and effective. Although they are a bit greasy, they pack quite a punch and have a unique smell in the mentholated product world, which I find appealing. Some people do not like the smell of Tiger Balm, and it seems to be something you either love or hate.

It contains tea tree oil, cassia oil, clove oil, mint oil, and a parrafin and petrolatum base. Tea tree and clove make an interesting combination. Tea tree is known for its antibacterial and healing effects, and clove for its ability to dull sensory nerves.

(Chewing on a clove can help stop tooth pain. ) The unique combination and fragrance is something you never ...

• forget once you have used it. My first experience with Tiger Balm was before I ever developed fibromyalgia.

I had pulled a muscle or something behind my knee while doing some stretching exercises, and it was aching and difficult to walk on. I had to go somewhere, and the Tylenol I had taken were not helping. I was actually limping a little.

My mom offered me some Tiger Balm. I put very little on, because it is a bit thick and oily, being a salve– and I remember liking the smell so much I carried the jar around sniffing it. (Yes, I am weird.

It’s been documented) The next thing I remember was the feeling that a hundred bags of ice had

been put on the back of my knee. There are some very sensitive nerves behind one’s knee, apparently! After getting used to the shock of that extreme cold, the pain was greatly diminished, and I was able to walk without a visible limp. More recently, I found a jar in the medicine cabinet, and applied it to an aching back, where it totally took my mind of the pain for a good two hours.

I have lots of pain rubs around, and have for years, but this will always remain one of the most unique and interesting, and probably one of the best at doing what it does. I highly recommend Tiger Balm for anyone who needs a strong pain rub and likes the icy feel of a powerful formula counter-irritant.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3420061498190430/k2311a0620/6.20.11