Nancy Drew PC Game 23: Shadow at the Water’s Edge
  • I think we have about 8 of those games, and I've played at least some parts of each one
  • So naturally, I was ecstatic when I found the latest installment of Miss Nancy's adventures at my local Target
  • The story itself is really interesting, as is per usual with Nancy's games
  • Point is, during my experience, there were several pieces to the proverbial puzzle that fit together in ways I didn't always expect
  • Lastly, can I take a minute to say how much I love the box art

• by G. Russillo

I remember when I was in about sixth grade and my sister and I were really into the Nancy Drew games. We’d sit like rocks for hours, trying to figure out how these puzzle pieces fit together, or why we couldn’t go in that room yet, or whatever. I think we have about 8 of those games, and I’ve played at least some parts of each one. So naturally, I was ecstatic when I found the latest installment of Miss Nancy’s adventures at my local Target.

And the mystery is… a haunted Japanese inn! It just keeps getting better. (I adore Japanese culture.)

The installation was really easy; basically just point-and-click. It took a little while though, but luckily it didn’t take up too much computer power. I was

able to watch some funny YouTube videos while the green bar filled up.

As usual, the Nancy Drew HUD was very easy to navigate, even though I haven’t played the games in forever. The graphics are a teensy bit behind the times, but that’s just me nit-picking. Since the older games, they’ve really improved on the animations and voice acting.

The story itself is really interesting, as is per usual with Nancy’s games. A tad cliche, I’ll admit, but there ae some really intricate details that make it juicy. For example, Miwako, the inn’s manager, has this really creepy (though strangely cute) robotic cat that seems really trivial at first, but… well, I don’t want to give anything away. Point is, during my experience, there were several pieces to ...

• the proverbial puzzle that fit together in ways I didn’t always expect.

The cultural accuracy is pretty spot-on. The American characters pronounce a lot of the names and words incorrectly, but of course, that makes sense. The Japanese characters pronounce everything pretty well. The only real discrepancy I noticed was that the voicer for the inn’s owner, Takae, was faking her thick accent (she added syllables in places a real Japanese person wouldn’t have). But everything else was really accurate - I’d actually reccomend it as a resource for learning Japanese culture.

The mini-games could be games in and of themselves. It’s mostly Japanese number puzzles, but there’s also a really complex bento-arrangement game (that gets really addicting after a while…) and pachinko. In case you don’t know, pachinko

is a Japanese arcade game that’s like a cross between pinball and a slot machine. That was a bit addicting too…

There’s just one piece of false-advertising: the box says the game holds “terrifying secrets” and it’s “the scariest Nancy Drew adventure ever.” While there are a few screamer-moments, I’d hardly call the game “terrifying.” More like “eerie.” Though I will admit, there’s this one part where you come face-to-face with the yurei (vengeful spirit)… and I nearly peed myself.

Lastly, can I take a minute to say how much I love the box art? Because I do. It’s so pretty and spooky, and it reminds me of The Ring. (Yeah, remember that movie?)

I love this game. I finished it in, like, 2 days. Totally worth the 20 bucks.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2820061497870430/k2311a0620/6.20.11