Doctor Who: Season 1, Episode 3: The Unquiet Dead  » TV  »
  • While Doctor Who never had very high production values, I think this episode shows off the low budget more than either of the two previous episodes
  • I know, I have little room for comparison, having only seen one Matt Smith episode before I started, but he's so jovial that you can't help but enjoy watching him
  • I enjoyed the episode, it was weird how even the Doctor seemed taken aback when he saw the corpses first get up
  • Speaking of which, I found his talk of dying a bit bizarre
  • I recommend checking this episode out if you can

• by David Finniss

Having seen the future, the Doctor decides to take Rose back in time to the mid 1800’s. While he aims for the year 1860, he ends up taking the TARDIS to 1869, and to a different town no less.

They arrive to find the town plagued by the walking dead and decide to investigate further. The duo are aided by a caretaker, his servant, and Charles Dickens. Yes, the Doctor teams up with Charles Dickens to fight zombies and ghosts. It’s a storyline that even the most cracktastic comic books could only hope to come up with.

While Doctor Who never had very high production values, I think this episode shows off the low budget more than either of the two previous episodes. As the episode progressed, I just kind of went with it, but early on, it was a pretty noticeable distraction.

There were a few character moments peppered throughout the episode. Rose has a conversation and tries to bond with and inspire the servant and we learn that the Doctor is a huge fan of Dickens’ work.

Mostly, this episode is more driven

by the story, which was pretty well put together. There were enough twists and intriguing moments that you never found yourself bored or losing interest in what was unfolding.

When it was revealed that the servant was psychic and that she had some connection to the cause of the supernatural activity, I was expecting something similar to “The Shining”. Surprisingly, it’s a little different.

While ghosts aren’t involved, they beings responsible aren’t dissimilar to them. I don’t want to spoil it, but the afterlife isn’t involved, although it’s close depending on how you look at it.

We do get something of a subplot going as Gwyneth, the psychic servant, warns Rose about a “bad wolf”. We’re not given any further clues, but given that the rest of her speech was just talking about technology, it does stand out in terms of context.

The more episodes I watch, the more I’m enjoying Eccleston’s portrayal of the Doctor. I know, I have little room for comparison, having only seen one Matt Smith episode before I started, but he’s so jovial that you can’t help but enjoy watching him.

I’m not sure ...

• what the hate for Rose is all about. Granted, it’s still early, but she seems OK. There’s nothing great about her, but nothing that warrants hate either.

I read that one critic disliked this episode based on some perceived political subtext. He compared the villains to asylum seekers and said that it put forth the idea that they are evil and manipulate liberal sympathy. I didn’t see that myself, but even drawing on that metaphor, just because these particular beings were nefarious doesn’t mean that all beings would become evil in such a circumstance. I don’t know, I guess it seems like some people try too hard to find political connections, but that’s just me.

The supporting cast did a decent job and the minor characters each got their own arc, allowing for character growth and resolution.

My only real gripe with this episode came from the fact that the cast was somewhat hard to understand at some points. I think, however, that this was more due to the fact that I was watching it on a netbook and they don’t have particularly good speakers.

Even though I had the computer volume, as well as Netflix’s video player volume turned up to the highest setting, I still had to pull the computer close to me so that I could hear what people were talking about. If you watch this on DVD or television, I think that this won’t become such a problem, but as I found it vexing, I brought it up anyway.

I enjoyed the episode, it was weird how even the Doctor seemed taken aback when he saw the corpses first get up. Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but considering what he’s seen, I didn’t think that he would be shocked by much. Speaking of which, I found his talk of dying a bit bizarre. I guess they wanted to build drama, but hasn’t he taken on bigger threats before? Not to mention the fact that he would probably just regenerate, but I figure telling Rose that wouldn’t have helped out a whole lot.

Still, minor nitpicks aside, I’m really digging this show and I’m glad I decided to start watching. I recommend checking this episode out if you can.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1020061497850430/k2311a0620/6.20.11