Avril Lavigne Goodbye Lullaby music album
  • This is Avril Lavigne’s senior effort album and I think it shows
  • I thought her previous CDs also had solemn songs

• by wickeddude12

This is Avril Lavigne’s senior effort album and I think it shows. It’s got a more mature sound with less poppy music – OK maybe not so true about the pop part. But it brings me back to her earlier solid efforts with quality music. Also, I’m not sure why people say it’s a solemn album. I thought her previous CDs also had solemn songs. In fact, there are tracks dispersed throughout this album that have an upbeat beat and/or tune.

I really like the opening song— it’s got an air of innocence that is simple and beautiful. I think it also opens well for the second song – What the Hell – with which it shares common notes I believe. What the Hell is

a good let go song. You can really let go of all your troubles and just jump and/or dance to this song. It really pushes against society’s and parent’s discipline of youngsters to conform to politically correct and acceptable behaviour. As Newton’s Third Law of motion states, for every force, there is an equal and opposing force. Here Avril is celebrating her push back against a lifelong taming. Also evident is her producer’s influence on this song (her former husband); however, his influence on the rest of the tracks seems to be a bit more reserved unlike the other albums he produced for Avril. Instead, he lets Avril take the reins that shows off her truer colours as well as her less aggressive side.

Push is ...

• a solid effort with an addictive tune while Stop Standing There is really catchy to me and playful and innocent with a message I can personally relate to and understand. The chords on the songs may not be the most original — they have probably been used many times before as catchy and ear-pleasing chords. However, I find added value in Avril’s beautiful voice and meaningful lyrics.

Speaking of lyrics, Avril’s target audience still seems to be the same as before. Teenagers and, I guess, especially girls but I find that I can connect with her especially with her songs that are a bit more solemn because I’m a little emotional.

The Deluxe edition is great: it’s got four extra acoustic tracks which I love because they always showcase more

of the artist’s talent by putting it on the spot without any extra distracting noises. Plus it includes an extended version of Alice that Avril did for the Alice in Wonderland major motion picture. I also like the Bad Reputation cover because it is a catchy tune and so many people have done a cover of it, it is time Avril put herself up to the test.

The album cover looks OK. It still looks a little tacky like her other album covers but it works OK for me. It’s not the most important part of the package.

All in all, a good solid senior effort that I do not believe lets fans down. In fact I think it dares to rival her previous albums (less of course her last one).

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1417061497050230/k2311a0617/6.17.11