Doctor Who: Season 1, Episode 2: The End of the World
  • To be honest, I found it rather weird that she was so quick to abandon her family and loved ones (although she could come back to the instant she left anyway) to go on an adventure with a man she barely knows
  • He gives a great speech about how we obsess over how we might die and never consider the possibility of surviving the things we freak out over
  • I think that this episode does a better job laying the groundwork for what sort of stories we'll see throughout the season as the pair travel through time
  • Still, I recommend checking this episode out

• by David Finniss

This episode picks up where the last left off, with Rose entering the TARDIS and joining the Doctor on his adventure. He asks her where in time she wants to go and she responds by suggesting they jump forward a century, and then 10,000 years. Oddly enough, despite stopping at these times, she doesn’t look. I get why, to an extent, they didn’t want to build sets, but Rose doesn’t even stick her head out the door before asking to be taken somewhere else.

Finally, the Doctor comes up with an idea and takes them 5 billion years into the future. As the title suggests, this is when the world ends. Interestingly enough, this is not the danger that the duo are supposed to stop. It’s more of a backdrop to explain the gathering of various extra-terrestrial races.

Where the last episode sort of eased you into the basic concepts of the show, this episode takes a “throw them in the deep end” approach. It isn’t so much mythos or backstory, but overall weirdness as the aliens all look very, well, alien. Even the last remaining human is nothing more than a sheet of sentient skin with a face.

The plot thickens as it seems someone intends to hijack the station and kill everyone on board. Naturally, it’s up

to the Doctor and Rose to save the day.

Once again, Rose is the audience identifier as she sees what sort of life exists beyond our own world and gets a glimpse of the larger universe. From what I read, the companions in this new relaunch really emphasize the humanizing aspect and that comes to the forefront here. Not with the Doctor, but with the last human as she talks about how the species became diluted by going out into space and “mingling” with other races.

It was nice to see that the weight of what Rose had chosen to do finally caught up with her. To be honest, I found it rather weird that she was so quick to abandon her family and loved ones (although she could come back to the instant she left anyway) to go on an adventure with a man she barely knows.

Her attempts to get to know him better only result in a minor falling out. We do get a bit of a glimpse into his backstory as he reveals that he’s the last of his race and he talks a bit more about the great war that was mentioned in the pilot. He also shows a more optimistic attitude when it comes to humanity. He gives a great speech about how we obsess over ...

• how we might die and never consider the possibility of surviving the things we freak out over.

Just as in the last episode, Eccleston is clearly having fun with the role. The Doctor clearly gets a kick out of doing what he’s doing and you can see every ounce of it on Eccleston’s face.

The aliens looked a bit goofy, but were still fairly believable. The giant face was one that looked like they were trying a bit too hard, but that only has two scenes. The last human also looked a bit fake, but I was still able to roll with it as the story went along.

The episode really succeeded at building suspense. It’s only two episodes in, so really, I knew how it was going to turn out, but as things happen, you do find yourself on the edge of your seat as the Doctor cuts it rather close.

As far as the overall mystery, it worked well enough. While the cloaked aliens are the obvious culprits, it’s revealed that they were pawns in the scheme. The fact that they’re called “memes” is a pretty good hint to the fact and it allows you to wonder who is really behind the operation.

It was a solid episode and acted as a nice follow up to the pilot.

I think that this episode does a better job laying the groundwork for what sort of stories we’ll see throughout the season as the pair travel through time.

Speaking of which, why does it never occur to either Rose or the Doctor to go back and try to put a stop to the war and save the time lords? The Doctor is clearly torn up over it, you’d think that Rose would put forth the idea, even if it is just to comfort the guy. I don’t know, maybe they addressed that or will in the future, but I found it odd.

Still, this is another show that didn’t need a lot of time to really get the ball rolling as many shows do. Just as with Babylon 5, I find myself enjoying the episode without even needing to apply any sort of curve to account for the fact that this is the first season. I guess the fact that this is a continuation of the old show helps a bit. Still, I recommend checking this episode out. Even if you didn’t catch the pilot, or any other Dr. Who for that matter, it still works as a jumping on point as you get to know the characters and follow the plot without really needing to know what came before it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1017061496970230/k2311a0617/6.17.11