Revlon Colorsilk Hair Color Medium Rich Brown 47
  • At Walmart, Colorsilk costs less than four dollars, when most other brands of hair color cost at least seven dollars, usually more
  • I bought the medium rich brown, since it seemed to match my hair color the closest
  • I will be using this hair color regularly now, and I highly recommend it

• by reviewabit

I have been coloring my hair at home for the past few years to save money on salon visits. I have mostly been using Loreal products, but when I heard that Colorsilk by Revlon was actually very good despite its low price, I did a brave thing and gave it a try. The fact that a person who was pretty knowledgeable about hair coloring told me this did influence my decision. At Walmart, Colorsilk costs less than four dollars, when most other brands of hair color cost at least seven dollars, usually more.

I had not ever used Colorsilk. I bought the medium rich brown, since it seemed to match my hair color the closest. Colorsilk is a permanent hair color product, but is ammonia free.

The brand

I had been buying nearly choked me every time I used it because of the ammonia smell. I had to run out of the room to try and get enough fresh air into my lungs before the stuff on my head caught up with my nose! This product smells nice. It’s not just because there is no ammonia, it just actually has a very pleasant smell.

Since it seemed to amazingly gentle based on the smell, I had my doubts if it was going to cover my somewhat resistant gray. In the box, there is the usual set up– an applicator bottle, gloves, a tube of color to add in, and a small packet of conditioner for after rinsing the color out. I applied the thick lotion to ...

• my hair, and waited the required twenty five minutes.

It was so nice not to smell ammonia– and another thing, many hair color products make my scalp itch or burn temporarily. This one did not– not even a little bit. It really seemed too good to be true, and I was preparing myself for a letdown when I rinsed it out.

When it was time to rinse, I looked in the mirror first. It certainly looked well covered, and the developed color was certainly dark enough, but it is impossible to tell a result when wet, so I tried not to get my hopes up. Once rinsed out, my hair felt a bit tangly, which is par for the course when you color it.

I put the

conditioner on and waited two minutes. When I rinsed it out, I could tell that the quality of the conditioner was just as good as others I had used in the Clairol and Loreal products. It made my hair very soft and took away that awful “just colored” feel.

To my surprise and absolute delight, this product covered my gray perfectly. Not only that, but the color was rich and beautiful and my hair was shiny and healthy looking. Even the frizzy back portion of my hair looked great, and that is unusual.

This is one of the gentlest products I have ever used to color with, and the cheapest to boot. I am a new Revlon fan. I will be using this hair color regularly now, and I highly recommend it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3416061496610530/k2311a0616/6.16.11