E.L.F. Studio Flawless Finish Foundation in Porcelain  » Cosmetics  »
2.5
  • But I don’t count that too big a problem, as scents usually don’t go on for hours
  • If I were to pay more for a foundation sans that unpleasant scent, I definitely would

• by jhunie

At the time I badly needed a new foundation, it wasn’t so hard to find one that didn’t entail so much an expense as paying with my credit card. How about trying ELF this time? I didn’t want to stoop too low my budget, for the reason that many inexpensive foundations break me out. The only one that seemed worth shelling out a few bucks was E.L.F.’s studio flawless finish foundation.

What swayed me into buying the foundation was that it perfectly matched my skin. I picked the shade Porcelain, which was the lightest shade. The tint had just the right amount of yellow under a neutral base. I would say it was a shade lighter than my neck, so it didn’t contrast my face too much. It was one of the very few moments, wherein I’ve found a makeup that harmoniously matched the general tone of my skin. You must deliberately spread the foundation on and on, because the coverage was medium to thick, and

I saw how it tended to look patched-up in some areas of the face. If you choose to employ a brush, make sure it’s flat and fine-bristled. Its creamy texture is a bit dry without primer, and could result to streaking.

The payoff with foundations that really match my skin is in their natural coverage. This blended so well, almost disappearing on my face. It didn’t keep me from adding concealer, but my makeup was 80 percent done even without it. So coverage was great. In the rare times I wore this foundation, its moderately matte finish lasted poorly though. It required a lot of re-setting with powder and was pretty much gone on my forehead and nose. I couldn’t be more detailed how the makeup lasted on my oily skin, as I gave up wearing it quite early.

While running low on my favorite foundation, I wanted to preserve that foundation to the very last ounce, so I used the ELF foundation to cover my neck.

• I don’t mind scrimping makeup sometimes, when I’ve been keeping lots of other foundations I’ve stopped using and others stashed somewhere to be used in a different season or time of the year. I forgot to wash my neck, or that I simply forgot I wore foundation in there, and clusters of white heads appeared a few days later. Fortunately, only one among which broke out. But the zit was humongous. Apparently, the foundation broke me out – not in the face though – but my neck. This isn’t anything new at all. I’ve had other instances, in which makeup caused the skin in my neck to break out. It must be due to the chemical sunscreens in the foundation (largely contains octinoxate and very little avobenzone). I should hold myself accountable, too, for committing something as heinous as sleeping without washing makeup off. “Boo!”

There are certain smells in makeup that put me off. But I don’t count that too big a

problem, as scents usually don’t go on for hours. At the first sniff, I gasped a little bit, because it smelt awfully wrong. The foundation could be described perhaps as baby shampoo bumped with a perfumy fragrance. I wore it despite the fragrance, and that’s when I started complaining. Eventually, I became intolerant to the smell. I considered the smell okay in the bottle, but my nose finds it repulsive. If I were to pay more for a foundation sans that unpleasant scent, I definitely would. This is the part that irks me about the product. A nice touch to this budget foundation is its pump dispenser. ELF is great at packaging their products while not reflecting the low price. I can dispense the foundation on the go, and it’s travel-friendly. Sorry ELF, I haven’t seen anything to pitch my recommendation for this product, notwithstanding the price (bought it for 7 dollars). I rather wear BB cream than be smothered by the smell of this foundation.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3115061496230230/k2311a0615/6.15.11