Ebay Nigerian Scam  » Scam  »
0.5
  • I know it sounds stupid but the people that do this are very skillful and they made it seem as if I was going to receive the payment
  • I noticed almost instantly after I shipped the item that it was probably a scam but it was too late
  • If this happens there is a way to re-direct the email to paypal and that's what I would recommend because they are capable of checking into it although it may not retrieve the money
  • I made a rookie mistake and it really cost my a lot of money
  • I was very disappointed to loose about 200 dollars which was what the Xbox was worth

• by John

I was selling something on ebay for the first time and I was scammed into sending my item before I actually received the payment. I know it sounds stupid but the people that do this are very skillful and they made it seem as if I was going to receive the payment. It was my first time selling something on Ebay. I have since found out that they tend to target new sellers because they are unaware of the process of selling. It was horrible to have this happen and I ended up loosing a lot of money that I really needed at

the time.

I was selling my xbox 360 online and I shipped it to Nigeria without receiving any type of payment or the xbox back. They were very slick. They convinced me to send it using USPS without any type of tracking or reference information. I noticed almost instantly after I shipped the item that it was probably a scam but it was too late. Since this happened I have been very careful when shipping outside of the country and I certainly don’t believe I’ll ship anything to Nigeria again.

The way that it works is that they send out a fake paypal email that says when the item ships it will show up in your paypal account. The email that was sent looked exactly like Paypal. If this happens there is a way to re-direct the email to paypal and that’s what I would recommend because they are capable of checking into it although it may not retrieve the money. I made a rookie mistake and it really cost my a lot of money. Since this has happened I have always checked my paypal account before I send out anything and that’s what I would recommend to anyone to make sure that this doesn’t happen.

After this happen ...

• Ebay Nigerian Scam
      I contacted Paypal, Ebay and USPS and there was just nothing that could be done. I believe that Ebay should have been able to do at least something about it so I was very disappointed at this point. It was not a payment that when through Paypal and Ebay and USPS couldn’t do anything to stop the shipment before it was delivered. This happened about a year ago. I emailed the individual after wards and they acted as if they just didn’t understand anything. I asked for my payment and I was told by him or her that I would receive it
      but it never came through.

I never got to the bottom of how it happened. The individual that I shipped the item to continuosly sent what seemed to be emails joking about what happened but there was just no way that anyone could find out exactly how to find him.

If you are a new seller on Ebay I would highly recommend that you keep a look out for these tricks. One thing that I have learned is to never try to do business outside of ebay like by email. I was very disappointed to loose about 200 dollars which was what the Xbox was worth.

Heather Kerr says :

Glad to know this…I am almost finished with a cookbook that I am planning to sell on ebay. Amazing…scammers will try anything won’t they? I think that ebay should have been way more help than they were They should back their sellers 100%. I will definitely use caution when selling my cookbook. In fact, you just inspired me to only sell within the U.S.

hyphey92 says :

Yes only sell USA, These people are ruthless with the scams

Michelle Thompson says :

I have also received many scam emails via Nigeria claiming that I have money that has been unclaimed but first I need to send them either my banking information or send a small fee of 100.00 to cover the costs of them shipping the money directly to me. SCAM

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 6014061494061230/k2311a0614/6.14.11