Paprika (Animated Film)  » Movies  »
  • Fucking with our minds (pardon my french) is one of the best things that Satoshi Kon is known for
  • Yeah, well, the plot is, well, I thought so too
  • Unfortunately, it never really made any impact on me
  • The only thing that I could commend on this animated film is the amazing and smooth animation that the animators really pushed in
  • Anyhow, I'm just one person so don't judge the entire thing based on my opinions because you just might regret it

• by Shuyi

Fucking with our minds (pardon my french) is one of the best things that Satoshi Kon is known for. He has brought us numerous mindfuck animated movies such as Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, and Tokyo Godfathers, and now here is bringing us yet again another mindfucking movie: madhouse presents “Paprika”.

Personally, what drew me into this animated film is the animation itself. For some reason it reminds me so much of Hayao Miyazaki’s works. This film breaks

the boundaries between imagination and reality! There was so much color, so much imagination, so much effort in making those walls collide, it reminded me so much of my imaginations back when I was still a child. Well, the plot is really similar to inception, there is this really cool device (called DC Mini) that can allow people to share their dreams, LITERALLY! So, it’s like, you can enter into my dream, we can interact, and it gets recorded by the DC Mini, how cool is that? Now, something bad really happens when an unknown terrorist steals the DC Mini and begins implanting horrible nightmares on its frequent users. Hmmm… Pretty cool huh? Yeah, well, the plot is, well, I thought so too. It turns out, I’m not quite sure.

When I watched the whole film, I’m not quite sure on how to react, should I be sad? Should I be happy? Should ...

• Paprika (Animated Film)
      I hate the characters? Unfortunately, it never really made any impact on me. Unlike other movies that will make you watch again and again, Paprika is better left in the shelves after a hour and a half of watching. I’m not putting you down here! Maybe my standards are too high, but to be honest, it never really connected to me. The characters weren’t likable enough. There was no character development, no “real” interactions, none of
      those spices that makes a movie connect to its audience! Nada!

The only thing that I could commend on this animated film is the amazing and smooth animation that the animators really pushed in! It’s just so wonderful! Without those gorgeous graphics, I don’t think Paprika is ever gonna sell! Anyhow, I’m just one person so don’t judge the entire thing based on my opinions because you just might regret it. Opinions are subjective. To each his own. :)

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 118061491110830/k2311a068/6.8.11