Motrin IB-Ibuprofen Pain Reliever 200 mg 100 ct  » Health  »
  • Motrin was the original prescription ibuprofen drug, which was released after Advil, I believe, in the 1980's
  • I usually buy a generic ibuprofen, and honestly, I have never been able to tell a difference, but when I heard several people who relied on Motrin for arthritis pain swear on their lives that Motrin was better than the generic, I decided to make my next purchase the name brand
  • If you are a regular user of ibuprofen, you probably already know that the generic brands are dirt cheap but the Motrin brand cost quite a bit more
  • The result of my purchase was quite interesting
  • This might be the one time I recommend an “inferior” product to the better one

• by reviewabit

I have fibromyalgia, IBS, GERD, and diabetes. This makes for a very complex situation when I need to take an anti-inflammatory or pain medicine. Sometimes I just use Tylenol to bypass all of this complication– but there are times when only an NSAID is going to do the trick. One of those times comes around monthly, and another is sinus headache time. Motrin was the original prescription ibuprofen drug, which was released after Advil, I believe, in the 1980’s.

I usually buy a generic ibuprofen, and honestly, I have never been able to tell a difference, but when I heard several people who relied on Motrin for arthritis pain swear on their lives that Motrin was better than the generic, I decided to make my next purchase the name brand.

Fortunately, I ran across a coupon. If you are a regular user of ibuprofen, you probably already know that the generic brands are dirt cheap but the Motrin brand cost quite a bit more. The result of my purchase was quite interesting.

I have been using ibuprofen on and off for years. I am not one of those people who take it every day or so, because of the conditions I mentioned in the first line. Fibromyalgia is not really affected much by the ibuprofen. It is not an inflammatory condition, so regular Tylenol is a better option for that.

As for the irritable bowel syndrome and reflux disease, that means I have a sensitive gut. Ibuprofen is likely to cause ulcers and stomach bleeding if taken in large doses ...

• over time. With a preexisting stomach condition, I am wary of using it more than a day or two in a row. As for diabetes, the concern there is that all NSAIDS (all of them, not just ibuprofen, as the drug makers are so careful to point out) can raise your risk of heart disease.

So does diabetes. So there are many reasons to be careful about taking ibuprofen. That said, I have used it for years without experiencing a problem. Until– I switched to Motrin brand.

My first dose of the product, which was just the regular two tablets, caused mild heartburn. I wrote it off as a coincidence. The next time I needed it, I took the prescription strength (I had the ok from my doctor to do

this) which was 800 mg. or four tablets.

I took it for menstrual cramps. It worked like magic– but left me with the worst stomach ache I had ever had. Could this mean that the Motrin brand truly is stronger? It seemed to work faster than the generic, and caused more of the expected side effects. It’s actually a good argument– although I have used many generic brands and usually find that there is no difference in them, this might be a case where someone is right about the name brand being better.

Or at least stronger. As an odd consequence, I now buy ONLY the generic ibuprofen. It still works pretty well and doesn’t kill my stomach. This might be the one time I recommend an “inferior” product to the better one!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 347061490700530/k2311a067/6.7.11