Guerlain Insolence EDP Fragrance  » Perfume  »
  • Again, despite that I was wearing a sample, the perfume had amazing longevity
  • Don’t be deterred by the initial quality of the scent, and I recommend that you test it first before buying

• by jhunie

Here is a possible signature fragrance I’m obsessing right now. You know perfume bottles can be very deceiving. I easily fall for perfumes with abundant rose notes. The intricate design of Guerlain Insolence’s perfume bottle seemed to suggest that. I fancied the EDT first and then veered to the extrait after a sniff. But, either version had strong top notes leaving me with a qualm (certainly no rose in too); indecision killed my fascination and asked if I could bring home samples instead. My nose hadn’t been exposed to Guerlain’s generally rich fragrances for a long time. I demanded 5 sample vials, each was quite concentrated – and I wanted more!

Insolence actually starts in a bang of fruits, raspberries being the most prominent of all, and violet flowers carrying a synthetic tone of something like solvents. Even though

I’m merely testing the vials, the scent, at the beginning especially, knocks me off sometimes. It’s strong and so typical of a lady’s cocktail perfume. Initially, you’d either love it or hate it. The top notes very much remind me of a cheap bath and body works mist, because of the raspberries, and other berry-toned perfumes from Lanvin swirled through my head. It has that provocative air, yet you get – and I bet most people probably would – that Insolence is a luxurious perfume. Okay. Guerlain really knows how to tickle one’s sophisticated whims. However, the sweet fruits might be inelegant for some.

Nevertheless, Insolence incarnates my personal floral-woody signature. It’s the type of perfume I’d want to wear on a night out if not every day. The perfume gets softer and more sensual when the opening quells ...

• down. Different from other cocktail perfumes, it avoids smelling “madam” and there’s a girlishness that stays in the fragrance. So, you wouldn’t feel anachronistic if you sit beside a friend wearing Dior Cherie; it is, I believe, still in the same league as popular fruity perfumes.

The longer it sits upon skin, the more it smells powdery. Half of the time, all that remains is around 40 percent sandalwood, while the rest is a vague mix of florals and the same fruity notes. Once settled, it smells simple and very pleasant. Although powdery, it’s not at all tacky. It is slightly temperamental and smells very sweet in low humidity – to the point that I couldn’t stand smelling myself sometimes as it challenges my tolerance. It’s odd a few people had commented about me smelling good though. But it certainly

flatters one’s ego.

Again, despite that I was wearing a sample, the perfume had amazing longevity. It lasted for hours and hours. Now that’s quality. I could even smell it on my sleep (granted I didn’t wash myself) at night. If I wear something else, I could still smell a very faint hint of insolence in my cellphone sock, and I’d woo for it again. The perfume retails for 40 dollars, which is not bad considering its staying power. Insolence, though it’s more or less of commercial taste, is a perfume for women of strong convictions, as well as those naïve ones. Don’t be deterred by the initial quality of the scent, and I recommend that you test it first before buying. I’ll be looking forward to getting a bottle. Insolence is one of those fragrances you want to keep.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 566061490460530/k2311a066/6.6.11