2011 MacBook Pro 13 Inch Laptop  » Laptops  »
  • The experience is no less exciting when you finally open the box
  • Having come from a Lenovo/ThinkPad laptop, I found the screws for the Apple somewhat inconsistent and therefore they probably would have fit better had I returned them to their original locations
  • Another issue that I have is the glare on the screen
  • As well, the shortcuts need some time getting used to, but I think I’m already progressing

• by wickeddude12

This is my first personal ownership of an Apple product. I have had experiences with iMacs at school as well as the iPod that belongs to my sister and another one that belongs to my dad. At school, I have always been fond of the iMacs: they are simple, easy-to-use, beautiful machines on the inside and outside ; they even remind me of the plain and simple user interface that a user has with the Google search engine (which I have been a long time user and loyal fan of before the craze). Then I have seen my fellow student peers and coworkers use the MacBook which no less gorgeous than any of Apple’s products. After having been a long time user of PCs, I finally succumbed and made the transition to an Apple computer for both personal and academic use.

My first impression of getting my hands on an Apple MacBook Pro box was great. Apple is known for its marketing and design and it really shows. It even shows in the packaging that displays the thinness of the laptop and the simplicity of its design and technology through the lack of wording. The packaging shows rather than tells and reveals much more this way.

The experience is no less exciting when you finally open the box; you only get even more so as your heart pumps and butterflies in your stomach flutter as you anticipate what treasure lies within

the beautiful packaging. When you get to the laptop, you see that it is shielded in plastic protection and once you take it off, all you want to do is protect this magnificent object, inanimate as it may be, almost like you would do with a baby. It is so pleasurable to the touch, sexy and beautiful that I immediately wanted to put it in a plastic case to protect it forever. However, I just remembered that I had a SATA 6.0 GB/s SSD hard drive to put in. So I unscrew the screws and place it in with the help of some YouTube videos. The screws take a while to take off, but the rest of the SSD installation happens efficiently. I lose one of the case screws because they are so small. I am sad.

When I finally boot the computer and install Mac OS Snow Leopard again, it installs in about 30 minutes which is fast. The computer boots up quickly, within 15 seconds, and I ready to go after connecting to the Internet and installing updates to the operating system. Shutting down is almost instantaneous such that it is awesome.

One of the greatest things about MacBooks is the trackpad. I keep giggling to myself at how cool it is to use one, two, three, or even four fingers to do different things in Snow Leopard. Scrolling is a breeze. There is ...

• no mandatory use for an extra mouse anymore.

Installing programs is a breeze. All you have to do is drag the installation dmg file into the Applications folder and the OS installs in the background or sometimes allows you to follow prompts in order to customize the installation.

No technology is perfect. The issues I have with the MacBook are numerous. Having come from a Lenovo/ThinkPad laptop, I found the screws for the Apple somewhat inconsistent and therefore they probably would have fit better had I returned them to their original locations. However, after some tinkering, the screws went in nicely. As I mentioned above, I lost one screw because it was so small so maybe Apple should improve on the size of these screws and their quality.

Another issue that I have is the glare on the screen; however, this is not really a con since you can pay at least 100 dollars more for an upgrade to an anti-glare screen. My ThinkPad, by default, comes with a different type of screen that is soft and therefore has no glare.

Another complaint that I have heard and believe well is the easily scratchable and dentable aluminum body. But have no fear: I investigated and bought some products to protect my MacBook as soon as I started using it including the Moshi PalmGuard, which prevents against scratches on the inside of the MacBook from your wrists or watches on your

wrists, as well as a plastic coloured case that I ordered from EBay for about 20 bucks. Because it is plastic, it protects the MacBook from shocks on the outside of the laptop and prevents dents in the aluminum body. I was actually thinking of getting the white MacBook which is made of white plastic just for this protective reason.

With my ThinkPad in mind, I miss a USB port on the right side of the laptop which would total to 3 USB ports for the laptop. This would allow the cord of my mouse to reach a USB port more easily.

With PCs, there are VGA, DVI, or HDMI ports built right into the laptop. However, you have to fork out extra cash for a mini Displayport to whatever adapter in order to extend your video experience. Apple should be less stingy and include at least one adapter with the MacBook.

Lastly, I can foresee that I will miss some programs that are made independently and offered for free on the internet that are only available for PC, but through experience and support by the online Mac support community of fans and owners, I am confident that they will be able to help point me to alternative Mac programs.

As well, the shortcuts need some time getting used to, but I think I’m already progressing!

All in all, this is a beautiful piece of technology that I wish I have good experiences with in the future.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 636061489900430/k2311a066/6.6.11