Lanacaine itch relief cream
1.5
  • It is not an incredibly thick cream that is difficult to squeeze out, the problem is more that too much of the cream comes out each time
  • Neither of these problems would be an issue if the cream worked
  • Sadly for me, I found the cream to be largely ineffective

• by gecko

So mosquito season has opened, and I am starting down a well-trodden path of trying to find something that will ease the suffering of relentless itching from mosquito bites. I am working my way through home remedies and over the counter creams and liquids, and my latest trial was of Lanacaine itch relief cream.

Lanacaine comes in a mid sized yellow tube. The cream itself is white and comes out easily. It is not an incredibly thick cream that is difficult to squeeze out, the problem is more that

too much of the cream comes out each time.

I find that the cream spreads incredibly easily over skin, but that it does not absorb easily. This means that I can cover a large area of skin, larger than I would like, with a small amount of cream, but then I can’t get the cream to disappear. The more I rub the cream, the whiter it becomes and the more obvious it becomes. Eventually, I end up with a huge white patch on, for example, my leg

where the cream seems to be sitting on top of the skin. Once the white patch is there, it then seems to dry into a hard white flaky solid feeling cream.

I know that if I use less cream I don’t have as much of a problem with the absorption, and as a result don’t have as much of a problem with a hard white residue left over, but this is partly the problem with the cream coming out of the tube too easily. It is very difficult to squeeze ...

• Lanacaine itch relief cream
      out a tiny amount. Almost every time, I end up squeezing out too much.

The other thing I don’t like about this cream is the smell. It reminds me a little of mothballs, and the smell doesn’t go away when the cream is rubbed in. This means that the area of skin treated with the cream ends up having a kind of musty mothball type of smell which also transfers into whatever clothing you are wearing. It is not the most subtle of creams.

Neither of these problems would

be an issue if the cream worked. Sadly for me, I found the cream to be largely ineffective. I was using the cream specifically for relief from incredibly itchy mosquito bites, and by and large I did not find any relief with this cream at all. I was left with large white patches on my legs, smelling of mothballs and still itching like mad.

Lanacaine may work better with itchy skin caused by other conditions, but for me, it did not relieve the itchy symptoms of a mosquito bite.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 262061488810430/k2311a062/6.2.11