Samsung Profile phone
  • I did have a little trouble adjusting from using a smaller sliding phone, but I prefer this one
  • Unfortunately, you're out of luck if you plan to group contacts
  • It's one of the better phones I have owned and I would recommend it to others

• by Ash Marie

I recently purchased a Samsung Profile in black through nTelos. With a two-year contract, the phone was $19.99 US.

The phone features a slide-out QWERTY keyboard, 2.0 megapixel camera, Version 2.1 Bluetooth capabilities, a music player that supports a variety of files, along with standard tools such as an alarm clock and calendar.

The phone itself is pretty basic. The top panel buttons are large and easy to use. I did have a little trouble adjusting from using a smaller sliding phone, but I prefer this one. The smooth slide reveals a full QWERTY keypad

with a larger variety of keys than my older phone. In addition to the entire alphabet, the pad also includes a set of arrow keys. This means that I don’t have to hit some secondary button to make the letter keys act as arrows. Very handy.

One feature that I do not care for involves texting, which I do a good bit of. It is exceedingly simple to send a blank text by accidentally double clicking. The screen just opens and sends instantly. Also, once you start sending the text, there is no way to stop.

The cancel button does not work at all in regards to cancelling a text in the process of sending. I send quite a few blank texts.

One other thing that bothers me is that when I go to capitalize a letter, the text goes to all caps first and one letter cap second, which means that if you’re typing in a hurry, things are probably going to end up in all capital letters and it looks like your screaming. Not a severe inconvenience once you get adjusted.

My final and biggest peeve involves the contacts. You can ...

• Samsung Profile phone
      save tons of contacts. It’s great. I think my phone holds a max. of 1000 unique contacts, which is more than I will ever need. Unfortunately, you’re out of luck if you plan to group contacts. Only ten contacts can be listed in a group. Yup. So if you have 11 family members, you have to make two groups. I have three groups for colleagues, so if I want to mass message them about a time or location change, I have to send out three messages. Once again, not a major deal, but it seems
      like something that they could have worked out a little better.

On the other hand, the sound quality and the speakerphone work well. MP3s sound very good and the speakerphone can get pretty loud. The camera also takes decent pictures as compared to others I’ve used. The phone is pretty study. I’ve dropped it several times from various heights and it has yet to break, which I am particularly excited about.

Overlooking all its flaws, this is still a good phone. It’s one of the better phones I have owned and I would recommend it to others.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 372061488790430/k2311a062/6.2.11