Whiskey River Saloon  » Entertainment  »
522 State Street Madison, WI 53703
  • I normally avoid bars that are a part of a chain, but a recent experience at Whiskey River Saloon has me reconsidering this stance
  • First of all, there was a very diverse crowd, which always makes a bar a more interesting place

• by SkisAndTrees

I normally avoid bars that are a part of a chain, but a recent experience at Whiskey River Saloon has me reconsidering this stance. I visited Whiskey River on a Wednesday night and had a fantastic experience.

This bar had many positive aspects. First of all, there was a very diverse crowd, which always makes a bar a more interesting place. There was a healthy mix of college students, young professionals, middle-aged people, and even older people, all seeeming to be having a great time. Secondly, I never had to wait more than a few minutes to get

a drink. There was a long bar staffed by 4 bartenders, as well as a smaller island bar on the other side of the venue which made getting drinks very efficient. The staff was friendly and the drinks were made generously strong. Thirdly, being a “saloon,” I expected to hear plenty of country music. However, the bar played a balanced mixture of both country music and popular dance tunes, appealing to a wider variety of people. Speaking of dance tunes, the dancing scene at this bar was fantastic! There were excellent lights and even a ...

• smoke machine. The dj mashed up some funky mixes, and there was a large crowd of people getting down. I had more fun dancing here than I have had in a long time! Another pro - Wednesday was mechanical bull night. Watching people ride the bull was incredibly entertaining, and I even participated myself. It was a fun challenge. The bull riding line went very quickly, and it was free to ride the bull with the purchase of a drink. For the more sporty types, the bar had 3 pool tables and a few
        dart boards. The people playing pool seemed to be having a very casual, fun time. Finally, shot girls and promotions kept the atmosphere very lively and entertaining. There was even a costume contest!

The bar had few negatives - I truly had a very positive experience here. The music was quite loud, and for those who are not fans of country or pop I would imagine the loud music would become quite grating. Additionally, by the end of the night the bar became pretty crowded.

Overall, this bar was a really fun time and had a lot of different options for everyone.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5931051487660531/k2311a0531/5.31.11