Now Calcium Carbonate Supplement Powder 12oz
  • I was using a soy milk substitute for awhile, but then read an article that made me a bit suspicious of taking a lot of soy, so I decided to try almond milk instead, which has very few carbs or calories
  • Now I know I am getting the proper amount of calcium with my almond milk, and it was incredibly easy to do
  • I would highly recommend this powder for anyone who wants to “sneak” some calcium into a food or drink that would not normally have it

• by reviewabit

I am diabetic, and since the amount of carbohydrates I consume has a very direct effect on my blood sugar, I try to look for ways to reduce the carbs I eat. I was using a soy milk substitute for awhile, but then read an article that made me a bit suspicious of taking a lot of soy, so I decided to try almond milk instead, which has very few carbs or calories. I was pleased, and was also pleased with using ground almonds as flour to make low carb cakes

and cookies.

Since I bought my almonds in bulk to make my own almond flour, which is much more economical, I decided to try my hand at almond milk too– which is basically made from passing water through almond flour. It worked out well, but then I realized that what is always missing from milk substitutes is the calcium.

In store bought brands, it is added in– but if you make almond milk at home, you have to find a way to add the calcium if you want

it in there. I considered just upping the dose of a calcium supplement to make up for the lack, but then I was told that using a calcium powder in the milk would be a better idea, since it would be more readily absorbed by the body.

I ordered the calcium carbonate powder from Now Foods, a company I have always relied on for good quality. The twelve ounce bottle arrived, and I tried a little on my finger.

There was no taste and no odor– what a ...

•  Now Calcium Carbonate Supplement Powder 12oz
      relief. I had been worried it would alter the taste of my milk.

I tried mixing a little into a glass of the milk, just to see what it did to it before adding it to a large batch. It was a little hard to whisk in, but once I got it mixed, I tasted it and it was great.

The only difference was a very, very slight thickening effect on the liquid– and since it was milk, that just made it seem creamier. I bypassed all the

heavy duty whisking work by adding the rest of the powder into the milk with a blender.

This made the texture even smoother, and I can honestly say, the calcium mae the texture of the milk even better than the store bought brands I had used. Now I know I am getting the proper amount of calcium with my almond milk, and it was incredibly easy to do! I would highly recommend this powder for anyone who wants to “sneak” some calcium into a food or drink that would not normally have it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3429051487130931/k2311a0529/5.29.11