Neutrogena T/Sal Therapeutic Shampoo Scalp Build Up Control 4.5oz  » Health  »
  • Each day, my scalp grew less sensitive and although the flakes went through a phase where they seemed worse, I think it was just because the rash was healing
  • I would definitely recommend this shampoo for anyone with a scalp problem
  • It was actually quite mild and really helped to resolve the scalp issue

• by reviewabit

I have never really had dandruff, but I did have an episode that was as close as one can get. I developed a weird rash. It started on my chest, with pink, itchy scaly lesions. Soon it had spread all over my entire body, including my scalp– and it all happened within 24 hours. I was horrified! A trip to the doctor assured me that I was not dying.

It was a virus that caused the itchy rash, and I would now probably have to wait a month or so, but it would clear up on its own. I was given some cream for the itching, and told to use Neutrogena T/Sal on my hair. It was itching ike crazy, and some of the lesions had started to scab

over, giving me the appearance of a flaky scalp which pretty much looked just like dandruff. When I went to the store to get the T/Sal, this was the product that they had– which was labeled for scalp build up control.

I asked the pharmacist if this was the right stuff, and he said it was. The “sal” in T/Sal represents salicylic acid, which is a chemical used in acne treatment. This confused me a bit. I have used salicylic acid products in the past for acne, and they made my skin itch and flake– but now I was using one to treat an itchy, flaky scalp? I was so confused… but I was assured this is what I was supposed to be using.

I took it home ...

• and washed my hair that evening. The shampoo is gentle, and while it does have no added fragrance, there is a slight smell, which I suppose is just the chemical formulation. It made a nice lather, and cleaned my hair gently. The scalp burned a little when the shampoo hit it, but I attributed that to the fact that it was covered in a rash.

After washing, my hair felt soft. The harshness of the medicinal shampoo that I had feared was not there. It felt completely gentle. The burning had stopped when I rinsed water through my hair, and now it started again as the hair dryer blew warm air at it.

Once it was dry, I had no more discomfort, and the itching had lessened greatly. I was

still tempted to scratch, but it was nowhere near as bad as it had been. My hair actually looked pretty good. It had body, was shiny, and felt nice and soft.

It wasn’t even frizzy, which was something I had almost expected. I washed my hair every other day with the T/Sal. Each day, my scalp grew less sensitive and although the flakes went through a phase where they seemed worse, I think it was just because the rash was healing. After the flakes were gone, there was no more itching.

I would definitely recommend this shampoo for anyone with a scalp problem. My estimate that it would be harsh because of the ingredients was totally wrong. It was actually quite mild and really helped to resolve the scalp issue.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3429051486850831/k2311a0529/5.29.11