Windows Live Mesh  » Software  »
  • Another issue I have with Mesh is the fact that it sometimes when having the same document open in more than one place, it will create duplicates of the file which is kind of annoying
  • All in all, Mesh is a great product that allows me to avoid messing with USB stick or forgetting to send myself a copy of a file I’m working on

• by wickeddude12

This Windows Live program is relatively new in the Live suite like Live Mail and unlike other programs such as Messenger. However, it used to be called Sync and was in the works to becoming what it is now today: Mesh. This program is the next step in the direction towards the Cloud. The Cloud is basically the idea of uploading and having your data on the Internet so that it may be accessed anywhere and this is a huge plus if you are moving between your laptop or desktop or just don’t have or want to carry your laptop around. You can then login securely anywhere onto the Internet to access your files.

The idea of the

Cloud is not exclusive to Windows Live Mesh; however, what it excels at and distinguishes it from other competitive offerings is the fact that it works seamlessly with Windows 7 to offer an almost instantaneous update process. It can sync to your Windows Live account 5 GB of any type of data that you want and grants you access to it anywhere you have Internet. I use this space for my documents which includes those from Excel, Word, PowerPoint, OneNote as well as PDF files and small executable files.

Whenever I save a file, I just have to wait a few moments for Mesh to sync my work online. If this does not happen as quickly as I want it to,

• I may must double click the Mesh icon in the taskbar which then immediately responds and syncs my files.

One complaint I have is the fact that it only limits your miscellaneous storage to 5 GB whereas it allocates 25 GB for the rest of documents which are restricted to JPEGs, BMPs, etc. for pictures for instance. I only have 800 mb for my miscellaneous storage which is the only storage I use, so if Microsoft was a bit more flexible with its storage allocation (not more space just more functionality) then I would be completely happy about the storage aspect; 30 GB total is more than enough storage for my documents.

Another issue I have with Mesh is the fact that it sometimes

when having the same document open in more than one place, it will create duplicates of the file which is kind of annoying. It should save all the data in the older file and close it and use the current file as the master one. This only happens sometimes so it is not a big deal.

Microsoft can also work on the user interface to access its files online more easily. It uses large icons to represent files that is not the easiest way to interact, manipulate and download files, especially multiple ones, conveniently.

All in all, Mesh is a great product that allows me to avoid messing with USB stick or forgetting to send myself a copy of a file I’m working on.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3027051486310431/k2311a0527/5.27.11