Vocal Point Blood Glucose Monitoring System (Liberty Medical)  » Health  »
  • They come in a small canister about the size of a film can, and they are not individually wrapped, which is very convenient
  • Over all, I think it is a well designed machine, and I wouldn’t mind having one, especially if I couldn’t see

• by reviewabit

My mother gets her diabetic testing supplies through Liberty Medical. She is legally blind, and uses the glucose monitors that “talk. ” I am also diabetic.

When I could not get strips for my own machine right away, my mom was kind enough to share her new machine and strips with me, so I got to use the Vocal Point for about a week, as well as help her to set it up properly. It is actually very easy to set up compared to some of the monitors.

Although they are made for the blind, not all of them accommodate the blind person for setting the system up. This one

actually speaks the menu options aloud, which is helpful.

There is one button to access the menu settings, and it is on the side so it harder for someone to go into setup mode accidentally, which can confuse everything. The strips for the machine do not require coding.

They come in a small canister about the size of a film can, and they are not individually wrapped, which is very convenient. The blood sample size is very tiny, so you aren’t likely to run into a “not enough blood” error.

The female voice on the machine is clear and easy to understand, and the volume can easily be adjusted in ...

• the menu mode. This machine uses alternate site testing, which means you don’t have to use blood from your finger.

I normally use my forearm. This is an important feature for me, since I am a musician and do not like my fingers to be sore and bruised from frequent punctures.

This machine has the unusual feature of adding in a thermometer. It can actually tell you what temperature it is in the room, although I cannot figure out how in the world that relates to a blood glucose reading.

It also has up to 450 readings stored in memory, with a date and time stamp, if you

want to review your readings over time. Everything seemed to be really great about the machine– we both used it for a week before noticing that the readings seemed a little strange, like my getting a reading of under 80 when I had eaten a large meal.

We started comparing the readings to that on her old meter, and got mixed results. I am not sure how accurate this meter is to be honest… but then they all have quirks.

I sometimes think none of them are 100% accurate. Over all, I think it is a well designed machine, and I wouldn’t mind having one, especially if I couldn’t see!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3423051484210231/k2311a0523/5.23.11