Woodward’s Diabetic Basics Healthy Foot Lotion 12 oz  » Health  »
2.5
  • I have heard that petroleum can actually dry the skin more over the long run, so this was not something I really thought was a good ingredient for people who had a serious health issue if they developed dry skin on their feet

• by reviewabit

I am diabetic, and I received this lotion as part of a wellness kit from a seminar on diabetes. It is really meant for people who tend to suffer from serious leg and foot problems, like infections, although it could certainly be used as a preventative. I tried it out for a while. The ingredient that kills bacteria is benzalkonium chloride.

It has a mineral oil base, with paraffin, allantoin, jojoba, aloe, and vitamins A,E and D. It also has comfrey root and petroleum, methylparaben, disodium, and EDTA. I didn’t really like the inclusion of some of the ingredients, like the petroleum and parabens.

I have gotten accustomed to using

more natural ingredient based lotions, and I would rather use tea tree oil for an anti-bacterial. I tried it out anyway since it was free. It was in the winter when I used it, and this is a time when I need extra moisture.

Compared to my usual shea butter and olive oil lotion, it really didn’t do a great job of moisturizing. It absorbs quickly, and the skin feels fine for awhile, but later you need to reapply. I have heard that petroleum can actually dry the skin more over the long run, so this was not something I really thought was a good ingredient for people who had a ...

• serious health issue if they developed dry skin on their feet.

The scent was pleasant. It is peach scented, and it is mild and not overpowering. At my next doctor’s visit I asked if I really needed to be using this product.

Even though it was specifically for diabetics, I had better products to moisturize with, and I did not think this would be worth it in the long run because I had to use so much of it. Also, there were the chemicals that I could really live without. I explained how tea tree oil can be a good anti bacterial and how I used the oil in various products.

My doctor didn’t even need to hear my lengthy plea. He automatically said that it was not necessary for me to use this lotion, and basically it was just a specialty product that probably wasn’t needed for the majority of diabetics. As long as my feet were healthy, and I continued to take good care of my skin, there was nothing about this lotion that I really needed.

I was relieved. I have nothing against anyone who wants the extra antibacterial action, but I do think there are far superior products out there, even though they might not be marketed specifically for diabetics. Vitamin E creams, shea butter, olive oil based products– there are many to choose from.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3420051483810431/k2311a0520/5.20.11