1.0
  • I bought the natural medium brown, which is about the same shade as the color my hair was from using the Feria color I was using before
  • After using, I can say that there are definitely some pros and cons here
  • The conditioner was nice, but I still like the one in the Clairol hair color kits the best
  • The other problem, and the biggest one, was that the color came out much, much darker than what the box represented
  • Until they work the kinks out of their color chart, I can’t recommend this product

• by reviewabit

I recently tried out another brand of foam hair color, and I liked the ease of application so much, that when I saw the new John Frieda line was on sale and there was a great coupon– I went for it. I bought the natural medium brown, which is about the same shade as the color my hair was from using the Feria color I was using before. It seemed to match up with the picture on the box, anyway. After using, I can say that there are definitely some

pros and cons here.

First, the pros. The price was fantastic– but that is a temporary pro, as this is a new product so they are trying to promote it. The regular retail price of the color is a little more than what I would normally want to pay.

The application is great. There was plenty of foam to go around, it is super easy to apply and it does not drip. The smell was average.

I have smelled worse, to be fair. It wasn’t too bad. The conditioner was nice, but

I still like the one in the Clairol hair color kits the best.

Once it was colored, my hair felt healthy and shiny. Again, I have seen much worse as far as the condition of my hair after coloring. Now, the cons.

The biggest two problems were the itching it caused and the color itself. I felt a slight stinging on my scalp while the color was developing, which is not really unusual– I have that sometimes with any type of hair color so I didn’t think it was a big deal.

• John Frieda Precision Permanent Color 5N Brilliant Brunette Med. Natural Brown 1 kit
      When it is still itching three days later, it’s a big deal.

I don’t know if it was an allergic reaction (although I passed the skin test just fine) or if it just dried out my scalp. I had to use a tea tree shampoo for a few days to stop the itching, which I really didn’t want to do, because I would prefer a gentler formula for the first week after I color my hair. The other problem, and the biggest one, was that the color came out much,

much darker than what the box represented.

What should have been medium brown was almost black-brown, which is not a color that looks natural on me at all. I am not happy about this. I have since read that other folks are having the same problems with it, with various colors turning out darker than they should.

My hair does not normally take color all that well, so it’s not that. Until they work the kinks out of their color chart, I can’t recommend this product. It could end in disaster.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3419051483450431/k2311a0519/5.19.11