Zesty Italian Stuffed Peppers Recipe  » Recipes  »
  • I thought it was a really good recipe, so when I found another recipe for stuffed peppers in the same cookbook I knew I wanted to make them
  • I found a recipe for Zesty Italian Stuffed Peppers under the section titled Beef in a Hurry , and the stuffed pepper in the picture looked different than any stuffed pepper I've ever had
  • The main reason I decided to make them was that this recipe seemed a little out of the ordinary, and I like experimenting in the kitchen
  • The reason for using the microwave was apparently to cut down on preparation time, but I think meat loses its flavor when it's cooked in the microwave
  • Even though I've only tried 2 stuffed pepper recipes, this recipe for Zesty Italian Stuffed Peppers is definitely my favorite so far

• by Davis Tucker

I had never made stuffed peppers until I tried a recipe for Stuffed Green Peppers in the Favorite Brand Name Simple 1-2-3 One Dish cookbook. I thought it was a really good recipe, so when I found another recipe for stuffed peppers in the same cookbook I knew I wanted to make them. I found a recipe for Zesty Italian Stuffed Peppers under the section titled “Beef in a Hurry”, and the stuffed pepper in the picture looked different than any stuffed pepper I’ve ever had. The main reason I decided to make them was that this recipe seemed a little out of the ordinary, and I like experimenting in the kitchen.

Here are the ingredients necessary to make Zesty Italian Stuffed Peppers:

3 bell peppers (green, red

or yellow) 1 pound of ground beef 1 jar (14 ounces) of spaghetti sauce 1 1/3 cups of French’s French Fried Onions, divided 2 tablespoons of Frank’s RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce 1/2 cup of uncooked instant rice 1/4 cup of sliced ripe olives 1 cup (4 ounces) of shredded mozzarella cheese

Here are the instructions for making the peppers: First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees, cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise through the stems and discard the seeds. Place the pepper halves cut sides up in a shallow 2-quart baking dish and set aside. Place the beef in a large microwavable bowl and microwave on high for 5 minutes or until the meat is browned, stirring once. Drain and stir in the spaghetti sauce, 2/3 ...

• cup of French Fried Onions, Frank’s RedHot Sauce, rice and olives. Then spoon the mixture evenly into the bell pepper halves. Cover and bake for 35 minutes or until the bell peppers are tender. Uncover and sprinkle with the cheese and remaining 2/3 cup of onions. Finish by baking for 1 more minute or until onions are golden brown.

The instructions for this recipe surprised me, because I haven’t seen too many recipes that call for microwaving ground beef. The reason for using the microwave was apparently to cut down on preparation time, but I think meat loses its flavor when it’s cooked in the microwave. So I decided to brown my meat in a skillet.

I used red bell peppers, because the cookbook used

a red pepper in the picture that was provided and it looked nice. My peppers were very colorful, and they smelled delicious. I was really pleased with the taste, because they were full of flavor, and all of the flavors blended nicely together. I think the addition of the hot sauce was perfect, because it added a little extra spice, but not too much. I wasn’t sure if I would really like the addition of sliced olives, but they were surprisingly good. There actually wasn’t anything I would want to change about this recipe.

Even though I’ve only tried 2 stuffed pepper recipes, this recipe for Zesty Italian Stuffed Peppers is definitely my favorite so far. The peppers were very different than anything I’ve ever had, and I think this recipe is proof that sometimes different is really good.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4919051482930331/k2311a0519/5.19.11