Marshmallow Krispie Bars Recipe  » Recipes  »
  • I like organizing potluck dinners with my friends
  • Potlucks ease the burden of one person doing all of the work, and I think they're a great opportunity to try different recipes
  • So I searched through my cookbooks, and I found a recipe for Marshmallow Krispie Bars in the Favorite Brand Name Bake Sale Cookbook
  • The picture in the cookbook looked irresistible, so I decided to try them
  • I thought the combination of the creamy peanut butter and marshmallows with the chocolate and cereal was absolutely perfect with the brownies

• by Davis Tucker

I like organizing potluck dinners with my friends. Potlucks ease the burden of one person doing all of the work, and I think they’re a great opportunity to try different recipes. Recently, I signed up to bring the dessert for a potluck dinner I was attending. I knew I wanted to make brownies, because brownies are always popular with my friends, but I didn’t want my brownies to be ordinary. So I searched through my cookbooks, and I found a recipe for Marshmallow Krispie Bars in the Favorite Brand Name Bake Sale Cookbook. The picture in the cookbook looked irresistible, so I decided to try them.

Here are the ingredients required to make Marshmallow Krispie Bars:

1 package (19.8 ounces) of Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge Brownie Mix 1 package (10 1/2 ounces)

of miniature marshmallows 1 1/2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips 1 cup of Jif Creamy Peanut Butter 1 tablespoon of butter or margarine 1 1/2 cups of crisp rice cereal

The instructions didn’t appear to be too difficult, and I figured it was worth the time I spent making them if they ended up tasting as good as they looked in the cookbook.

Here are the instructions:

First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease the bottom of a 13×9-inch pan. Prepare and bake the brownies following the package directions for the basic recipe. Remove the brownies from the oven and sprinkle the marshmallows on the hot brownies. Return to the oven and bake for 3 minutes longer. Next, place the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in a medium saucepan. Cook ...

• over low heat, stirring constantly, until the chips are melted. Then add the rice cereal and mix well. Spread the mixture over the marshmallow layer. Finally, refrigerate until chilled and cut into bars.

I was initially pleased with my Marshmallow Krispie Bars, because I thought they were very visually appealing. Then I tried one, and I was definitely impressed. They looked almost exactly the same as the bars in the picture, and that rarely happens for me. So I cut them into squares and prepared to bring them to the potluck dinner. I was proud of the way they looked, but the ultimate test was whether or not everyone else would like them as much as I did. I didn’t have to wait long to find out, because

a few of my friends tried them right away. The recipe was an instant success. Most of my Marshmallow Krispie Bars were gone before dinner was even served.

Overall, I think this recipe for Marshmallow Krispie Bars was such a success because the combination of topping ingredients along with the basic brownie recipe is not over the top, but adds a little bit of decadence. I thought the combination of the creamy peanut butter and marshmallows with the chocolate and cereal was absolutely perfect with the brownies. My goal was to make brownies that weren’t ordinary, and I think I definitely succeeded. I don’t have a choice whether or not to make them again, because my friends have already insisted that I bring them to the next potluck dinner. I’ll happily make them again for anyone who wants to try them.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4917051481220131/k2311a0517/5.17.11