Robitussin DM Syrup, 8 oz.  » Medicine  »
  • It sounds nasty, I know, but that's the point of it, to get the gunk out so we can get rid of coughs
  • I've used other brands of cough syrup, but this one is my preferred because it works the best
  • But, it works so well, and I've had no side effects other than a little sleepiness, that I would recommend it to anyone who wants to get rid of a cough, not just suppress it

• by WendyBird

When I get a cough, one of my favorite cough syrups has always been Robitussin DM because unlike cough suppressants, it will actually help me dislodge some of the gunk in my lungs, allowing me to clear them and get better. I always try this before resorting to a doctor visit, because usually this will take care of my cough, and at about the same effectiveness as some of the prescription cough syrups I have tried. Only, this one costs so much less than a doctor visit.

This comes in a bottle with a measuring cap, so I can measure out

my dose and then take it down in one shot. I always have to take it like a shot of adult beverage because it is so foul in it’s taste, really medicinal flavored and just all around gross. It contains guifensin which is what helps me hack up the gross things and it has dextromethorphan which acts as a suppressant. I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be non-drowsy or not, but it lways makes me need a short 30 minute nap or else I will be yawning and groggy all day. After my nap, I am ...

• wide awake and no longer sleepy. I take it every 4 hours as needed, which seems to be sufficient.

I don;t feel immediate relief with this medicine, but after an hour I do notice that my cough has calmed down. I still feel grungy in my lungs, but by the time a second dose is needed, I have started to cough and this time, gunk comes up. It sounds nasty, I know, but that’s the point of it, to get the gunk out so we can get rid of coughs. So, I welcome that, and am glad

that Robitussin can do that for me.

I’ve used other brands of cough syrup, but this one is my preferred because it works the best. My child’s doctor even suggests using this brand, in a kid’s formula, when she has a cough. I just have to make sure not to overdose when I am taking it because it can be really harmful if I do. But, it works so well, and I’ve had no side effects other than a little sleepiness, that I would recommend it to anyone who wants to get rid of a cough, not just suppress it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2617051480751231/k2311a0517/5.17.11